Sign in to follow this  
rickalty

Simpit to the rescue!!

When I first resumed flying lessons a while ago, the one area where I consistantly had difficulty was taxiing. Since it hurt too much to pay $100+ an hour to drive around the airport tarmac I put quite a lot of effort into tweaking the toe brake axes, travel and springs on my sims pedals to get as real a feeling as possible, and spent a lot of pracice time just taxiing around my home airfield in my bedroom. It certainly helped, and I eventually got a lot better at taxiing. Today, while taxiing across the flight line, a Citation on the parallel taxiway turned 90' right into me. No way was just stopping going to avoid a collision, but I was able to make a 90' of my own and slip in between two parked planes, stopping out of his way. I missed a Cessna on one side by about a foot, and my wing actually went over the wing of a Piper on the other side. I firmly believe that it was the hours of sim practice that avoided a costly - or possibly worse - incident here. All that was damaged was the Citation pilots pride, and after some suitable comments (yelled out the window, so he probably never even heard them) regarding his inter-species ancestry and unusual sexual preferences, we went on our ways. The tower did tell me to file a report though, so I guess it's not over for him.Richard

Guest Simpit

Yay!!Glad I could help :-lol Simpit

I am happy that your incident was only a near-miss. I too, started using MSFS when I restarted flying after a 20 year hiatus. I flew many a business trip in the sim before actually fling the new route. It helped my confidence and prepared me for the flight. I later used it to practice the possible instrument approaches to these airports before the flight.John

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II