Sign in to follow this  
Guest SHORT360

Control loading with heavy servo

Guest BaldieJr

Thank you for the link. I may order one or two of these for testing.I'm sorry for bothering you about this...If you could, I'd like to know:Which motor you used (bosch or other).The motor voltage you used.Which motor input you used (low speed, high speed, or mid-speed).Approx loss of torque when the servo circuit was added.And anything else you might think noteworthy for someone who is about to spend $100 on parts :)

Guest SHORT360

Hi BaldieJr,I used the Bosch windscreen wiper motor. It is 12 VCC motor with brushes.See here details of the motor: http://www.cpg1.freeserve.co.uk/servos/servos.htmI used the low speed input for my purpose.I cant say excatly but guess that I lost for about 50% to 75%. But may be did my power supply not be the best. Anyway, the holes into the circuit where you connect the power, and were you connect the cables to the motor are very thin and not capable receiving high amp cables. There is probably the most issue. There are four power Mosfet. They are conna hot very quickly and need mega cooler not included. The servo was controlled using IOCARD and the servo expansion card. GreetingsRoger

Guest BaldieJr

Thanks Roger, this is what I needed to know :)After the holidays I'll order the parts and start hacking :)

Guest SHORT360

And what will be your application?? Also controal loading??regardsRoger

Guest BaldieJr

Yes. I'm also working on a robot project, so the motors will come in handy no matter the outcome of my experiments.I'm thinking I can recover some of the lost torque by using a direct-drive system to a control sticks' gimbal and by using the high-speed input on the motor at 18 or 24vdc. As long as the h-bridge can source the current, everything should work.

Guest Expendable

What about doing something like this? Basically you have a "block" with two springs on it that the control column passes through. There's a space firmly attached to the column that separates the two springs. The whole block slides back and forth on simple rails. The block is moved back and forth (changing control pressures) by basically a pully driven by a worm gear and a motor.I saw something similiar to this a number of years ago by a guy who was proposing a design for a force feedback yoke. This is basically the same idea, but his design required some very complicated manufacturing pieces. I think my design could be built with relatively few parts... The only hard thing would be getting a good worm gear.Now for a jetliner-style control column that comes up from the floor, this could still be utilized below the floor and a simple push-rod linkage.