Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichardL

Desktop Yoke Recommendation

Guest RichardL

Does anyone have any opinions or reccomendations on these yokes. I'm looking for a yoke for a Beech 1900 / KA 350 sim.- CH Products USB Flight Yokehttp://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=20- Advanced Flight Control System III - USBhttp://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=93- Precision Flight Controls Cirrus Yoke Beech Style USBhttp://www.flypfc.com/entertainment%20products/beech.html- Elite Yoke - Mooney http://www.flyelite.com/hardware.php?product_id=22Any others I missed?Thanks for you're help,Richard

>Does anyone have any opinions or reccomendations on these>yokes. I'm looking for a yoke for a Beech 1900 / KA 350 sim.>>- CH Products USB Flight Yoke>http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=20Compared to the others this is a toy. The best in its price range though as far as I know. It's good until you try something better I guess. Definitely beats a joystick though.The PFC stuff looks very good, havent tried them in real life though. And of course they cost too .. :///Tuomas

Guest PoRrEkE

Nothing beats making your own ;)And keep working on it untill it feels good.

Sorry, have to disagree on this one. You may feel better for having accomplished something but nothing beats the feel of a commercially available setup.

>Sorry, have to disagree on this one. You may feel better for>having accomplished something but nothing beats the feel of a>commercially available setup.You mean it is impossible to make something that feels even better? :)None of those yokes in "semi-sane" price range incorporate any dynamic control loading feel, they all have springs or other non-adjusting centering force. They seem to have adjustable trim position which allows you to "trim off control forces" - but there is no reason such a setup couldnt be built by an individual as well, given good tools and skills plus some clever brains.I'm not saying those commercially available setups arent good, I am just wondering what you base your statement on? :) Solidity? Our Cessna yoke setup is built from 1x1" steel tube, strong bearings, the yoke handle itself is made from steel tube, it doesnt get more solid than that. Sure, we have not made a centering mechanism yet (currently it has a hydraulic "suspension" unit from a washing machine to have "resistance" for movement.. we are going to do it thouhg, but we first need to figure out how to make it right. But it is pretty darn good, I must say it feels more solid than the real yoke on our Skyhawk.. :)Of course one shouldnt underestimate the importance of the accomplishment itself, that's no doubt a big factor in this hobby, but I just dont understand why it would be impossible to build something equally good or better than those commercially available setups? Those also have started from the garage of some smart individual.. //Tuomas

Guest SHORT360

>>>>Sorry, have to disagree on this one. You may feel better for having accomplished something but nothing beats the feel of a commercially available setup.>>>>>>Gary,I agree totally with Tuomas. There are some among us which are far beyond everything available commercially, I mean in the mid range price. (PFC, FLink,)I do as an example, use hydraulic and pneumatic loaded on all three axises roll, pitch and yaw for about 8 years.Commercial companies concerned were and still are always using metallic springs and some are just about proposing setups using pneumatics or hydraulics loaders "today".I have left this year the hydraulics and pneumatics and I am closely to get finally electrically actuated controal loader close to FNPT II MCC cockpits.And I now that I am not the only simpit builder obsessed by the the real force feedback on the controls which is in my opinion, the core of a flight simulation, because without the right feels on the controls, the best cockpit is just good to simulate what I call cockpit management, but not good at all for what we call flight simulation.RegardsRoger

***Just***Taking***Foot***Out***Of***Mouth :-)There is no doubt that their are very talented builders among us and building a great yoke is a piece of cake. Gary

Its definitely a piece of cake - if it was, we'd have really great cheap yokes available commercially as well :)And I havent quite nailed it yet on my home setup. The basic linkage stuff is not hard, the stumbling block is the same what Roger is pondering about as well - centering forces and the trim function. But I am pretty sure it is not impossible. It's not trivial, but it is definitely doable. Beating CH yoke is easy though.//Tuomas

Guest RichardL

Wow! This sure took a turn off track. I'm just curious if anyone has any of these yokes and their opinion on its construction, features, realism, etc.Richard