Sign in to follow this  
Guest GusB

Need help on FSBUS display

Guest GusB

Greeting AllI'm "trying" to build a radio stack for my sim using an application specific implementation of FSBus. I've made what I'll call a "mother-board" with a COMM III, FSKEY3 and FSLED "all-in-one". This should give me everything I need for 2 NAV/COM's, Transponder, ADF and Audio panel.I'm running the Windows version of FSBus and so far I've been successful in programming the encoder's through the FSKEY3 to change the NAV/COM frequencies in FS2002. My problem arises when I try to flash the PIC's for the display's!!!! They "seem" to flash OK , as I can read the PIC after flashing and the first number comes back as 3005 (I am using CID#5 for the COM 1 display and the display modules are common anode). It comes up all "dashes" (segment "g") as can be seen in the picture. Everything checks-out OK in trouble shooting mode on pin's 4, 12 and 13.Has anyone come across this kind of problem?? Is there a known bug in the window's version of FSBus?? Anyone have any guesses as to what might be going on here??? PLEASE

Guest Binkles

The displays when first started will come up with the dashes, so I'm not sure what the problem is.Someone said that there was a problem with ca, but as I've used common cathode on mine, I haven't had the problem.Try the display test to see if the numbers change, remembering to make sure that you select the correct cid in the test cycle.Other problems can be the cabling from the computer to the board, as you can't use conventional cabling without mmodification.hope this helps a little.Laurence Merrainehttp://www.nzdragons.com/cockpit

Guest GusB

Hi LaurenceThanks for responding!!! I found my problem. I started to monitor the pins of the MAX232 and found that my Rx signal (pin 12) was only about 1.5V. My PCB uses SMT components and I have .008" traces with .012" spaces in certain areas. Apparently the flux in the solder I was using is slightly conductive and was loading down that signal. A good cleaning of the PCB solved the problem and all is well now. The last digit doesn't light in any of the displays, but I've been led to believe that that is a legitimate bug with common anode displays.RegardsGus

Guest Robid

Did you use a cnc to make your modified board? I agree, looks interesting.David

Guest Erups

What kind of system did you use to make those boards?They look like plated...

Guest GusB

Here are a few pic's of my progress