Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brett

Potentiometers.

Guest Brett

Hi! I'm ready to start making my throttle for my Beech 1900 sim but I don't know much about potentiometers. :( Does anyone know what I should use? How much resistance? If it turns more than the throttle itself does is that ok?Thanks

Guest RsZ

Well,there is 100 posts about it so pls use "search" next time:)Get 100k linear pots,they are best.Im using gears to make a proper ratio between the thrust levers and the pots.It's about 3:1 so in this case im able to use about 75% of the pot movement.Anyway it was really hard to get a proper gears here where im living so i've tried without them,just connecting the thrust levers directly to the pots and it worked quite good too(maybe not that accurate as with the gears).Another problem is jittering (electrical noise) and i recommend not to use a standard game connecto4 but an USB pcb!Just buy any cheap USB joystick and use the PCB with your own pots to minimize the noise.I finish now my column Yoke based on a real B767 pics and i think that i'll post some pictures of my work soon.Have fun!

Guest Brett

Sorry, I couldn't find anything on the search. Thanks for the help but there is just one problem. I don't know how to connect pots to USB, I only know how to connect them to gameports. Can I just use an adapter or will that not take the noise away?

Just disassemble an old (or new) usb joystick and use the pots in it.Or buy a gameport to usb convertor.Norbert

Guest Brett

Good Idea! :) If I used a Gameport to USB converter would that stop the noise?

No, the jittering may be less, but it won't go away all together. Part of the jittering is simple a function of the analogue inputs of the gameport.You can buy a USB joystick for as little as an adapter anyway, so I'd go that route.Richard

Guest RsZ

Well,im still thinking that USB Converter is not a best way to go especially if the price is equal to any simple USB joy.You can buy a really good and cheap USB joystick with 4 axis and even 10 programmable buttons for less than 15euro.Look on ebay just like i've done.With a standard game port you can normally connect up to 4 axis and 4 switches.ps.thx Norbert for all these pics about your home sim,it was verry helpfull to build my own units basing on your informations:)

If you can manage to solder and flash PICs, the "Plasma MiniME" is excellent - see www.betainnovations.com for the specs and firmware to flash on the PIC. Or check out the "MJoy" that was posted here a while ago, that looked very similar and promising too. At least the MiniME has de-jittering algorithm in the pic code, so it is incredibly stable and smooth in the movements. We use it for our yoke and pedals and we love it.We also use the FSBUS AD converter board, which works too, but if you dont have fsbus already, it is probably not worth the effort for just a joystick replacement.//Tuomas

Guest Brett

Well thanks for all the help everybody. I looked over everything and it probably seems simple to you but it is way too complicated for a doehead like me. This is why I'll be making most of my sim with my bankcard instead of my skills. I'll stick with the gameport and try to stop jitter as much as possible. If it doesn't work I'll either whip out my bankcard or put some effort into learning about USB interfacing. Other people who have made the same throttle than me haven't had much problems after doing stuff to prevent jittering. I know the following ways and I'll be searching for more on these forums so can anybody who knows more post them:1. Use a gameport to USB converter2. Keep covering on the wire3. Connect a wire from the unused terminal to the wiperThanks

Guest Glidiator_7N1

Hey Y'all, is it possible to hook up multiple usb sticks of the same make and model? I want to use the first one for the basic controls, and the second for differential braking, mixture, and prop.Thanks,RyanP-51 Mustang Simulator

Guest yoss

Yes you can do that very easyAs far i know, you can connect up to six joystick to fs and assighn them for different purposes

Guest Brett

One more question I couldn't find anywhere else. Where can I get a gameport to wire my pots into?Thanks

>One more question I couldn't find anywhere else. Where can I>get a gameport to wire my pots into?>>ThanksIf you have no gameports (soundcards usually have those) I'd suggest you get a cheap USB joystick and just use the electronics from it - it solves the jitter problem for you too - jittering on the gameport is a real problem which _will_ suck. You can reduce it with shielded cables. but just use an USB joystick, those are a lot better in terms of jittering. Just carefully disassemble the unit, figure out a way to attach the potentiometers to your throttle linkages and plug it in, off you go.//Tuomas

Guest Brett

Ok ill look into it. How do commercial joystick makers make joysticks that dont jitter and are wired into gameports? Any clue? Just incase you didn't understand I want to know where I can get a gameport plug to wire my cables into

Guest twabi2

Professional gameport joysticks have that jittering too... well, mine has