Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brianw

Mirage F1CZ Simulator

Guest Brianw

For those of you cockpit builders who may have missed my post in the screenshot forum, here it is again here :There is a full-size Mirage F1CZ simulator which was developed in South Africa. The fuselage was taken from an old South African Air Force aircraft which crashed after a combat mission in the '80's, leaving the pilot parylised.This simulator is not 100% accurate in instrumentation, but is nevertheless VERY impressive & I cannot adequately describe the feeling once in the cockpit! It is awesome!!All instruments, switches, controls are fully functional & work as in a real aircraft. Also, the head-up display works in exactly the same way as the real aircraft - with the information being displayed on the glass, not on the graphics background. It was built by two brothers, Dave & Peter Dooley. If anyone wants more information, take a look at their site : www.dooley.co.za & you can read much more on the simulator & other simulators which they have developed.Also, for those interested the pilot's story of the accident etc can be found at : www.piercy.co.zaCheersBrian

Guest SHORT360

I had the chance in the late 80th to log some hours on a full motion Mirage F1 simulator of the french army. It was an amazing experience. The bird is terribly sensitive and very hard to fly at low speed on approach. I lost always some pounds on each session.The sim is very well made. Great job. Impressed.GreetingsRoger

Guest Brianw

Hi RogerI was talking to one of the builders today & they had somebody out this morning to discuss motion for this sim too. It should happen in the near future. I'll keep you posted.I also understand about losing pounds on each session! I have done the same each time I have flown this one. It is extremely demanding to fly - what a challenge, especially for someone like me who mainly flies airliners, not fast jets!One thing I didn't mention is that the sound effects are amazing in this sim & does go a long way to make the sim more realistic.