Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard_H

OT: IL-2 - Your opinions please.

Hello everyone, I've had my eye on IL-2 Sturmovik for a few weeks now. I'd like to know everyone's opinion on this sim. Thank you. Earl

Its probably the best WWII simulator out there. I think its the benchmark WWII sim. The aircraft and scenario are Eastern front of course, but new add-ons and tons of new aircraft arte hitting the streets soon. I HIGHLY recommend it.hornit

Guest Smiley

about other pilots referencing IL-2 from the AGW BBS. Use the search function using IL-2 as the key.

Coolest WW2 sim out there. Online fighting is also A-19 out of 10Ed

....The scenery is stunningly beautiful...a very moody palette. Airbases are populated with moving AI vehicles leaving clouds of dust behind, there are amazingly detailed cities and villages...all very atmospheric. (you wouldn't believe the sunsets....)....The flight models are difficult in a believeable manner...and although there are a few issues, they don't really invade the immersion factor. ...It has the best virtual cockpits in the business....The scripted campaigns involve alot of formation flying...the AI models are pretty darned good compared to anything else....Combat encouters are believeable and VERY difficult. As a novice...you'll find yourself struggling to survive rather than tallying up your kill count....If you do purchase the sim....go to the IL-2 website and download the Updates. Among the files, you'll find even more addon flyable aircraft...including a really sweet PZL-11, and a Polikapov I-16...rorty beyond belief....One thing to remember...this is not a game for gamers. It's a damn good simulation for virtual flyers. If you're looking for a game...you'll find IL-2 way too dry to hold your attention for long. What it is....is a stageplay depicting the Soviet-German conflict...and your script puts you right in the middle of it.

Guest Boone

Amazing! I bought it a few months ago to escape from FS2K2 for a while and now fly both equally and regularily. It gives an awesome combat experience emerging you in to a world at total desparate war. The look and feel of the game actually made me feel cold in the winter battles!!! The best part, apart from the attention to detail, beautiful look and great planes and flight dynamics, is you get to kill #####!There's nothing like a dog fight with a ME109 that can last 5 minutes or more and then to shoot the SOB down!!! Quite often though it's the other way round.... You can also choose to be the Germans.Boone

IL-2 is far superior to ANYTHING out there right now for recreating the "feeling of flight". If you long to try your hand at exciting an inverted flat spin or coaxing the ME-109 down for a landing then this is the sim for you. ANYONE who does flight simulation can only complete a collection of sims with this one. I've been simming for 20 years and is it with complete confidence that I say, the flight models, damage models, physics models, and graphics are an order of magnitude better than anything there's ever been. Be patient learning to fly the ME109... this isn't microsoft anymore... flying in IL-2 actually requires skill : ) But in a believable way... The planes actually feel "heavy", yet if you know how to fly them, you'll be able to do some amazing things... And lest I forget, the track files (recordings) are a fantastic innovation; a 10 minute flight takes a 20kb file. The developer's support is first rate. Absolutely Amazing sim.

Another note. Obviously, the primary function of IL-2 is for combat, but I often find myself flying it for the sheer sense of "flight" that it can give. Even practicing VFR landings in the pattern is a hoot. Wait till you dogfight. Unbelievable enemy AI. This sim WILL improve your understanding of flight! Incidently, I also fly "real airplanes"...

Can you say, "Stalls and Spins" I mean REAL ones!!!Your missing out if you have not at least tried it!!!!!There is a Demo.................

I've had it for a long time now. It's much more a simulator than a game. FS2002, which calles itself a simulator (!), can by no means beat the flight model of IL-2 IMHO. You have more to do with flying than shooting until you get the hang of it. The visual effects are MUCH better than in FS2002, yes indeed someone mentioned those stunning sunsets. The sun is really DAZZELING. :-sun1 You can also switch on some kinda dark 'sun glass' in your front window (not all planes tho) :-cool. The damage model is very detailed... Even if you lose your left part of the elevator the program doesn't imediately trigger the 'crash' (like most other sims do...), no, you fly until the end. Flying is really a challenge.I highly recommend it. Cheers! :-wavehttp://members.lycos.co.uk/fs2k2/avsim/sig.jpg... under short final 25L EDDFWhich is not fitted cannot cause trouble...

Thank you all for your responses. The decision is made, the wife is picking it up when she goes to town today. Thank you all again. Earl

There is an update..... version 1.1 Hope you have Broadband....... 73 megs.Also an addon is being released at the end of this month which will take it to a higher level..............Ed

Guest cwright

>There is an update..... version 1.1 Hope you have >Broadband....... 73 megs. The current edition of PC Pilot has the 1.1 patch on the CD. Best regards, Chris

The version 1.2 patch should be released withing the next 2 weeks as well. 4 more flyable aircraft including the JU-87B Stuka :) :) :)It is a great game!! Join a squad and use voice comms and as far as the feel of flight goes in a simulation it simply cannot be beat!I still can't believe that it's only 39.99! And all of the upgrades are free...WOWOWOWOW!!Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3