Sign in to follow this  

Alex's law - or how to avoid FS2002 crashes

Guest gasebah

Well, after extensive and exhausting research I found the clue to this.My method is based on a principle that I developped for restaurants. When you are very hungry and your are waiting for ur meal to be served and nothing happens, and the waitress has passed you by like 25 times, I do the following. I light a cigarette and start somking. 30-60 seconds after having that cigarette lit the meal wil be served.Over the last few days I experienced that a similar principle applies to FS2002. When you save your flights regularly let us say every 15-20 minutes FS2002 will not crash. If you do not save your flight, your flightplan, FMC data etc. Fs2002 will become very unstable and usually crashes right after takeoff.I have backed up my research with extensive statistical data and excel sheets.Alex;) ;) ;)

Hi Alex,HMMMMM sounds intresing. I really have not had tooooooo many crashes with FS2002. Maybe becasue I use FSAssit for FS2002 by " LAGO " which has a " Auto Save " feature...that could be the reason for FS2002 not crashing sooooooo much. Really do not know your reason behind your theory, but maybe it is true. Concerning the cigarette theory...don`t smoke, those things kill you.This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png

The only crashes I have had with FS appear to be mostly add-on related due to sound or guage issues. Once I fix those, no crashes! And I rarely save my flights :)Hornit

My only crashes have come when switching views--and it's been well over a month since I had one of those. Seems to be gauge related, as noted in another post. I've been flying the C421 for the past several weeks, and I've not had one "view switch" lockup. Most of my FS sessions are all day on the weekends... I usually fly the C421 on 200-300 mile "hops" throughout the west coast... Great A/C! I've never locked up on final, or in other phases of flight mentioned by some. I almost wonder if it's my el cheapo 10 yr. old joystick, which I've used on every PC system since my 386SX... It's a bit tired, but sure seems to work well with my sims...-John

Guest The Ancient Brit

Alex,Your restaurant theory works in the UK where smoking is generally forbidden on buses. Lit a cigarette and a bus is sure to come along.I have installed the freebie utility, Autosave, (available from Avsim). It is a tiny utility (7KB) and simple to install By default it saves your flight at minute intervals. After ten minutes it starts to overwrite the first file it saved. This means in the event of a crash you have only lost 1 minute of the flight concerned. I don

Guest gasebah

Hi Denis,right after reading the post on FSAssist I downloaded autosave. I had FSAssist once but unistalled it because it really does not do any good for me, but I remembered the autosave function, and that there is a freeware dll somewhere in the library. I installed autosave.I do not think that I have to mention, that in 3 hours of flying with the Cessna 412C + FSMeteo Online + FSFlightmax + RealityXP + FSNavigator + frequent taskswitching + howknowswhat I had not one single crash.My theory is absolutely bulletproof.Alex

Alex, your theory sounds right on the mark.It's like "summoning the phone call."When you're waiting for an important call and it STILL hasn't come in, just go to the bathroom. You'll only be gone for half a minute, but the phone call is sure to come in while you're out of the room.--Tony

Guest The Ancient Brit

Alex,Alex

It's like the reverse of Murphy's law, which says if anything can go wrong it will. In this case it's like if you prepare for the worst, nothing will happen.Vince

Guest gasebah

Denis,I looked at your theory that seems very convincing to me and tried to develop it a little further. Actually gravity seems to not simply increasing over time, but also is oszillating around an increasing graph. It becomes periodically stronger just to weaken again. I found out yesterday morning (Monday) when I tried to get up and go to work. The peak gravity seems to be on Mondays, lows were detected on the weekends.Alex