Sign in to follow this  
Guest Reddog

Grumman J2F-6 Duck - Post Release Report

Guest Heather 636

First of all, I wish to thank all of you; for the

Regarding the brakes:I made numerous runway and a few open-ground landings in the Duck during beta. I didn't find the brakes to be overly touchy because the Duck is a taildragger, not a tricycle. All the taildraggers I've encountered require finesse to bring the aircraft to a stop without burying the nose. I assume that the Duck is no exception.Instead of holding down the brake key, press it down for only a short period. If the nose starts to dip, let off the brake and let the plane straighten out, then apply again. In effect, you want to brake like an anti-lock braking system--in short spurts. You could also try some back pressure during breaking but beware that this will help less and less as the plane slows down.I'm not sure what it's like with toe brakes on rudder pedals because my pedals don't have them. If you have toe brakes, let us know.

Guest Heather 636

Thank you gentlemen. I am starting to feel a bit more encouraged.That and having just finished a DC-Airways flight helped considerably. I looked at my logs and it has been a month (last flight 7/26/02) since I have flown last (other than short little test flights with the Duck that didn't amount to anything).I am starting to have some suspicions that the erratic flying behavior is connected to Force-Feedback. I am wondering of the people who have had this problem, what percentage of them use FFB, AND, if turning it off eliminates the problem.I hate having to tell people to use someone elses air file when it works perfectly fine for me and three of my four beta testers. The one who was having a problem never mentioned anything about FFB so I don't know on that score. I have sent off some FFB cfg settings to a few people I know use FFB for some experimenting. We'll see.Regards,Heather

Guest Lindy

Don't be too discouraged, Heather. I find it amazing the people who will read a many-paragraph post (such as your initial post in this thread) to gain information but won't read a ReadMe file when installing a new aircraft. I guess I'm still pretty much a newbie when it comes to installing airplanes...... I ALWAYS read the ReadMe -- for everything I install. You never know when you'll find some important instruction or piece of information that the developer wants you to have. Besides I don't think you developers write those ReadMe files just for fun. You'd probably rather not be bothered, but I for one am very glad you DO write them! -Lindy :-wave

Same from me. Your Duck flies just fine on my system. I didn't notice the propellor "problem" and put the touchy brakes down to the aircraft, not you !I spent most of Sunday flying around in the Duck, and have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Give yourself a good pat on the back, relax by flying something, then reconsider whether you won't do any more planes - this one's so much FUN it would be a great shame if you didn't !Best wishes,

Guest RobA

Lindy, I'm far from being a "newbie" to aircraft installations and I always read the docs/manual FIRST, before moving a single file. Maybe just an old habit from college where I'd buy my books early and read them before classes even started. (at least the main points) Heather's Duck installed without a hitch and flys beautifully! I hate to admitt it, but the Pink Lady is my favorite! LOL I'm sorry that some are having problems as this is a wonderful addition to my seaplane hangar. :-)Best, Rob[table border=2 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td]http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td]Beta tester for Radar Contact] the premier ATC adventure add-on for FS

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Yep, same here. No problems. I always take a new aircraft off from Meigs. Fly it off in spot view with only Shift+Z for input. (Old R/C pilot habit) No problems. Same for landing no problems water or airstrip.Do have some third party sceneries (not my stuff) in far away places and tried it there. Did find one scenery to toss the Duck around as has been mentioned. Don't think it is the Duck per se -- it may be the scenery/mesh used and the altitude combined with the time it takes for the model to find the sim scenery and sit itself down.Just some thoughts.Frenchy -- out.

I too fly it off the runway at Meigs. I have landed at O'Hare and Midway with no problems at all. I have landed in the water at Meigs (with the gear up naturally)with no problems. It will land at Honolulu also on the runway or the water. Avsim base is a great place for water landings and takeoffs. I never noticed the brake problem because I land pretty slow and let the speed bleed off naturally. Thanks Heather for one sweet plane! Regards to all.

Guest GZR_Frenchy

S! Agree about the brake problem. Don't think it is a problem. Tail draggers do this to the ones too quick on the brakes. Do a search and you will find many photos of tail draggers sitting on their noses. Not only on the ground but on aircraft carriers.Trike gear has been called the second greatest invention of flight design. Actual flight is called the first. I think the brakes are just fine for the period modeled.Just my input.Frenchy -- out.

Since the C172 (and other tricycle gear planes) are so commonplace, I think many are just not familiar with the behavior of the "standard" gear configuration. Taildraggers just aren't standard anymore.

Guest Heather 636

Thanks for the input guys. Having flown "real" tail-draggers, I can recall a few times when I found myself staring at the ground until the tail dropped back down and having almost wet myself. One learns to caress those brakes VERY gently.Didn't have to wory about braking in my Jenny; she didn't have any brakes, nor a tail wheel either. I used to enjoy developing my skill to know when to cut the power and roll to a stop within a foot or so of where I wanted her. She was a lot of fun to fly but, as with most tail draggers, and her narrow wheel base, she could be squirrelly and very unforgiving (on the ground) of inattentiveness.I have reconsidered the brake issue and, since I had only received one or two complaints about their touchiness, will leave them just as they are.Cheers!Heather

Hi Heather,As one of the guilty people who failed to read the readme file I apologise - my only excuse was that I was so keen to try her out and just jumped into the sim and crashed all over the place. Silly me for not first checking the readme files accompaning this release.Overall the entire suite is absolutely excellent and the amount of compilation effort is totally understood. I again express my regret for e-mailing you with my silly question when all I had to do was open my eyes and read what was put before me.A humbled simmerGarry J. Smith at http://www.gjsmith.comAircraft Texture Tinkererhttp://www.gjsmith.com/images/GJS-banner.gif

Guest Lindy

You're the follow who has those great textures on your site!! I was just there the other day (Don Moser sent me over) and found a gorgeous bronze/copper repaint of the default Bell 206B.Let me take a minute to say "thank you.... thank you..... thank you!!" :-smooch The default Bell paintjob was okay, but I get soooo tired of seeing blue and white aircraft, I could scream. The livery I found on your website is just perfect.Guys/gals, if you haven't visited Gary's site, you should really treat yourself and check out the beautiful textures you'll find there for lots of the default FS2K2 craft.-Lindy :-wave