Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

Mike Stone.....question

Mike, I think I e-mailed you several times on this. I KNOW you get tons of it so it might have gotten lost in the shuffle. I have now deleted any other 727's in my stable except for yours. Lots of great Delta repaints now..plus mine :) I was wondering if its possible to change the texture on the wheels to something more worn looking. Heres my idea.....did it with ascreenie and a piece of texture from some airliner wheel I have. http://www.flightsimmers.net/airport/hornit/72weel.jpgI like the realistic worn look, and think this would add a lot to this fabulous model. I'm just guessing others would like it too. Is this a big pain or is it something not too difficult?By the way, If your working on the 757....I FLY THEM FOR A LIVING :)Just thinking of the flight test stuff. Thanks a bunch again for this fine jet.Hornit

Guest Edam

Just curious...and this also goes to those who complained about the size of the wheels...What difference does it make? How long do you look at the wheels when you are flying? It seems to me that this is just about the most minor issue that someone might bring up about an aircraft. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this. The wheels aren't worn? Why care? They are retracted shortly after takeoff, and brought down shortly before landing. What's the big deal with that, especially asking the creator of the aircraft to correct it?

Uhhhh...some of us (and our Son's that are airplane freaks too!) actually spend a lot of time just viewing our models...walking all around them...oohing and ahhing.....and we watch from outside the takeoff roll....the rotation, the gear and flaps retraction....And even the little things matter...that's what seperates the good ones from the outstanding ones. Except on delivery day (I work at Boeing and have seen more then a couple the last 16 years) they (aircraft) are dirty. Some places are always dirty!Cheers!

I am making NO criticism's here. There is nothing wrong with the textures as they are. A lot of us DO fly in spot plane view and things like this add greatly to the realism IMHO. Its just my opinion that this great model could be improved. If Mike doesn't want to do it thats fine with me too. What harm is done by asking? I think you need to chill a bit and stop seeing these posts as criticism, I don't think Mike sees it this way either. Take for instance the very nice Beech 18 that was just put out by Gregg Pepper. Its a great model and I thouroughly enjoy flying it. Some folks had a few VERY MINOR issues with it and Gregg promptly put out a patch to make it even that much better. I saw that as a very constructive issue and Gregg handled it very well. I see nothing different here. Mike responded very professionally to the wheel issue and his model was improved greatly by it IMHO. Its the mark of a great design when it gets so much attention, I should think he would be flattered by it.I have done no less than 5 repaints of this aircraft alone because I think its that good. I have done many repaints and a few scenery add-ons, and I am always amenable to criticism. Its what makes these freeware add-ons so good. Hornit

Guest Edam

Jetninja,"Uhhhh...some of us actually spend a lot of time just viewing our models...walking all around them...oohing and ahhing.....and we watch from outside the takeoff roll....the rotation, the gear and flaps retraction...."Uhhhh...I realize that much. As I stated, I just can't see how the fact that the wheels may look "worn" or a little too big, makes a difference in a model that you got for free. Maybe it's just me, and in this case I would not be as demanding as you are.Hornit...>I am making NO criticism's here. There is nothing wrong >with the textures as they are.Then why bring it up?>A lot of us DO fly in spot >plane view and things like this add greatly to the realism >IMHO. Its just my opinion that this great model could be >improved. If Mike doesn't want to do it thats fine with me >too. What harm is done by asking?I fly in spot plane view also, but I'm too busy getting the plane properly into the air to worry about what the wheels look like, especially since they are retracted so relatively quickly. If M. Stone has no problem correcting these minor issues, then fine. I just think that this incessant insistance on realism has gone beyond what can realistically be expected, or demanded. Wouldn't it be better to give him the time to get his next plane out than having him have to cover all these "realistic" issues? Again, if he has no problem putting up with these minor issues, then that is his decision.>I think you need to chill a bit and stop seeing these posts >as criticism, I don't think Mike sees it this way either. I don't need you to tell me whether I need to "chill" or not. I call them as I see them. Again, if he wants to take the time to correct what *you* see as wrong, he will. That is HIS decision. Not yours, not mine.>Take for instance the very nice Beech 18 that was just put >out by Gregg Pepper.>I see nothing different here. Of course you wouldn't. But none of those complaints had to do with what the wheels looked like, so that doesn't really apply.>I have done no less than 5 repaints of this aircraft alone >because I think its that good. Except for the wheels.>I have done many repaints and a few scenery add-ons, and I >am always amenable to criticism. Its what makes these >freeware add-ons so good. Congratulations on your repaints and scenery add-ons, but you weren't very amenable to my criticisms of your post, were you?What's the difference?

The Shiney clean wheelsThese are down to me completlyI was so waiting for this Beautiful aircraft ,and around his house Everyday "is it ready yet" ......."is it ready yet"......he got real mad with me and said "look anniette ,why you not go and wash the wheels or something !!!!" well I took him at his word and washed them good ,infact SO good no matter what he did he could NOT get them dirty again ......."thanks alot anniette" he said "NOW i am gonna get a whole lot of complaints from people who like dirty wheels !!!!"So I AM to blame it is true et Voila !Anniette xxxxxxx

Anniete!!!! It was YOU!!! Oh my...:) Edam, I think I made it clear earlier that I just had a request of the modeler. I'm not demanding anything. As a matter of fact, I think Im politely asking. If you took it another way than thats your perogative. Just because something is free doesn't stop me from asking simple questions about it or its features.>"If M. Stone has no problem correcting these minor issues, then >fine. I just think that this incessant insistance on realism has >gone beyond what can realistically be expected, or demanded. Incessant?? I beg to differ, Ive made approximately two posts about this and commented on one or two others since this model hit the streets. Far from incessant:) >Wouldn't it be better to give him the time to get his next plane out >than having him have to cover all these "realistic" issues? Again, >if he has no problem putting up with these minor issues, then that >is his decision." Well thats exactly my point, If Mike decides not to do it then fine. If he DOES decide to do this then I'm that much happier about his fine work. What difference does it make to you??>Take for instance the very nice Beech 18 that was just put >out by Gregg Pepper.>I see nothing different here. >Of course you wouldn't. But none of those complaints had to do with >what the wheels looked like, so that doesn't really apply. No they had to do with several other issues that OTHER folks thought could be improved and Gregg obliged. I honestly don't see what is so wrong with that. Simple exchange of ideas and opinions and an agreement was made, amicably I might add.>I have done no less than 5 repaints of this aircraft alone >because I think its that good. >Except for the wheels. So what? Heh, Mike decided to change it and thats a good thing. If you liked it before than thats fine too.>I have done many repaints and a few scenery add-ons, and I >am always amenable to criticism. Its what makes these >freeware add-ons so good. >Congratulations on your repaints and scenery add-ons, but you >weren't very amenable to my criticisms of your post, were you? Personally I don't think its any of your business. If your happy with things as they are than thats great. I'm just making a simple request, If it's denied, I understand. I truly see no harm in the asking. I can handle the consequences without defaming Mike or attacking his work. I'm an adult about all this stuff, after all its just a hobby. I really don't see why your making such a big issue out of it actually.Hornit

NICE, if you find a way to implement them to the model all full of brake dust send them via email so I can implement them on my 27.walicea1@san.rr.comThanks,Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Hey Bill you like Tristar I see,Just to let you know I shall be painting Tristars pretty soon :)Alpha xxxxxxx

I think its just some texture assigning in the gmax model but honestly I don't know. I tried to mess with gmax and got very frustrated:) Im pretty adept at making hangars, buildings, or a house, but curvy aircraft are out of my league at this point.I have always been in awe of guys who could do this work and make it into something pleasing, its really a form of art.hornit

Guest Edam

> I think I made it clear earlier that I just had a request >of the modeler. I'm not demanding anything. As a matter of >fact, I think Im politely asking. If you took it another way >than thats your perogative. Just because something is free >doesn't stop me from asking simple questions about it or its >features. Gee, thanks for allowing me to have a perogative. > Incessant?? I beg to differ, Ive made approximately two >posts about this and commented on one or two others since >this model hit the streets. Far from incessant:) I was talking about ALL of the demands made upon freeware designers by all that do so, although that may not have been clear.> Well thats exactly my point, If Mike decides not to do it >then fine. If he DOES decide to do this then I'm that much >happier about his fine work. What difference does it make to >you?? None, except that I have noticed that a lot of these freeware designers get a lot of crap. Perhaps it would have better for you to ask for your request privately, that's all. Get my drift?> No they had to do with several other issues that OTHER >folks thought could be improved and Gregg obliged. I >honestly don't see what is so wrong with that. Simple >exchange of ideas and opinions and an agreement was made, >amicably I might add. I didn't say that there was anything wrong with that, did I? I said, "Again, if he has no problem putting up with these minor issues, then that is his decision."> So what? Heh, Mike decided to change it and thats a good >thing. If you liked it before than thats fine too. "Again, if he has no problem putting up with these minor issues, then that is his decision."> Personally I don't think its any of your business. If your >happy with things as they are than thats great. I'm just >making a simple request, If it's denied, I understand. I >truly see no harm in the asking. I can handle the >consequences without defaming Mike or attacking his work. >I'm an adult about all this stuff, after all its just a >hobby. I really don't see why your making such a big issue >out of it actually. Posting it on a public forum made it the business of everyone here. And yes, I am happy with things as they are, if not I delete them, but not if it's a simple issue as to the appearance of the wheels.Beyond that, I am giving my OPINION. If you consider that a "big issue," and that people shouldn't do so simply because they disagree with you, then YOU are making a big issue of it.I've said all that I intend to. You can have the last word.

>I have noticed that a lot of these >freeware designers get a lot of crap. Perhaps it would have >better for you to ask for your request privately, that's >all. Get my drift? I wouldn't call what Im doing a load of crap. I know the kind of crap these guys deal with. My simple requests are far from the deruagatory comments and demands made of these guys. I have had nothing but praise for Mike and his efforts, constructive criticism is not crap.I really don't see why your making such a big issue >>out of it actually. >>Posting it on a public forum made it the business of >everyone here. And yes, I am happy with things as they are, >if not I delete them, but not if it's a simple issue as to >the appearance of the wheels. Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it as I am mine.>Beyond that, I am giving my OPINION. If you consider that a >"big issue," and that people shouldn't do so simply because >they disagree with you, then YOU are making a big issue of >it. I only consider it a "big issue" when people like you get screwed into the overhead and make judgements about others based on your emotions. You could have posted exactly what you have in a totally different and mature fashion but your the one who chose to beadversarial. Your free to show any opinion you want but when its a judgement about others, especially me, then Im not going to let you get away with it, especially when its so obviously flawed. >I've said all that I intend to. You can have the last word. Thanks, I always get the last word.Hornit

Just to change the subject - I have not done a Delta version of Mike's B727 (with the new wheels) I might have a tinker with it and shine one up for you to have some flying pleasure with.This is indeed an great aircraft for texturing and I have revamped Mike's original 5 plus added a few others - might do a shiny Delta next.....RegardsGarry J. Smith at http://www.gjsmith.comAircraft Texture Tinkererhttp://www.gjsmith.com/images/GJS-banner.gif

I have few repaints in the libray here for the old colors. You could use these and make 'em shiny if you like, should be easy :) By the way, the Goose, has to be your best yet, simply awesome!hornit