Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

Mike Stone.....question

Just read Mike's post about a vacation, sorry to see that, all you have to so is say NO Mike...simple really.Hornit

Guest Scott Campbell

Edam,You have well said what I'm thinking.Hornit - put out the textures. You've already changed them, so why are you demanding Mike does?JET - get ahold of Photoshop, learn to repaint. Get ahold of gMAX, learn to make your own.I'm tired of this crap - nitpicking the tiniest little thing. If you want to compain to something, complain to Microsoft about FS - not the FREEWARE authors whom owe you nothing.Thanks a lot guys. I don't blame Mike for giving up for one second. You all just take the cake.

Scott, Believe me I would If I could. It has to be done in gmax, Im not familiar enough to do it yet. I didnt demand anything...sheesh. All I did was ask. I have not recieved a reply. The model doesn't support textures for the wheels, they are part of the model. I have done no complaining, I never said his model sucks or its wrong, I have praised him about it. I just asked to have a simple change is all. If he doesn't want to do it then fine. Lighten up. Mike is a big boy and if this is his decision then fine. I find it hard to believe that my simple little request was taken as criticism or a demand. It wans't meant that way. Grow up and get off the high horse. Hornit

Surprised myself that Mike hired himself a watchdog! LOL! Kidding!!!!!All joking aside, I see nothing but a request from Hornit, and as someone whom pilots these beasts he might be a tad qualified to judge if it came to that!If your going to bare yourself by releasing products, even freeware...get used to some critisism...that's par for the field. Agreed some people go out of there way to ##### others off, I run several forums myself for a number of years now....I've seen it happen a number of times. But simple requests or even creative critiques are just that. And if your a designer/painter/etc...you can take them as intended, and possibly learn from it (though we are all perfect...yeah right!) or if he/she does'nt agree, say so! Overall we're big people, we can handle a no. And most of us understand the truely talented ones get hit up endlessly with requests....Good idea on the Brake dust...cept the tire smoke would hide it...something to save for my Racing Buddies though! :D (F1-2002/GPL)My general critique...IMO most, not all...of the releases I see every day are too clean. We talk of wanting it as real as it can be...well take a walk at an airport, I see lots of dirty, dull, leaking, aircraft everyday as I eat lunch watching heavies, GA, Business, rentals, etc takeoff-land-fly 200' in front of me. (work at KLGB..C-17 Program!) Have to say the cleanest are the Business Jets, helps we have a Gulfstream Center here...but even the Citations and others are pretty clean most the time. :DAnd all this Chrome is bugging me a little (sorry Gary, still love your work dude!!!!)...there's a difference between Polished Aluminum (which is popular in Aircraft for many reasons) and Chrome. (which is pretty non-existent in Aircraft except in trim pieces) But they are pretty! :DShould be interesting when Mike runs into this thread! LOL!Oh well, we are all here to have fun. Think I'll go fly now. He He...Cheers!

I'm not going to get drawn into a debate on this. It's pointless. But I did want to point out that Hornits post had no influence on my decision, it was already made and in fact I wrote my note before I even saw his post. Hornit, I'm sorry for any grief this is causing, but I hope you see my viewpoint. Yes I'm a big boy, and I can just say no. But you have NO idea how I (and others like me) get barraged. In the time it took me to post my note I got two more complaints. One saying that the landing gear door on the 727 is the wrong shape with a photo to prove it. Nuff said.Mike Stone

OMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? (only you can guess what A stands for!!!)(Shaking his head in digust!!!) :-xxrotflmaoSorry Mike, this .... this....this is.. ahhhhhh!!! Read my post in your vacation thread!!Laterhttp://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Mike, Believe me Im sorry. I'll drop it, it really is no big deal. I do understand where your coming from though. I do a lot of stuff for some other sims and I DO know what you mean. A few years back I did a lot of scale aircraft modeling (plastic) to some very high standards. I made a name for myself and got lots of requests etc to do things. I got paid sometimes so it made it nice, but I rapidly got burned out due to always trying to cater to someones requests for things I lost enthusiasm for it. I'm back doing it again, but I do it for myself and I enjoy it a LOT more now. Take your time and don't be a stranger in here, contrary to what some might think I'm thinking....:) You do GREAT work, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Sorry If I contributed, I thought I was above that level.hornit

Guest Scott Campbell

Hornit,Perhaps you are the one who needs to grow up with innane comments like that "Lighten Up" and "Get off your high horse" nonsense.You know I generally have respect for you, and those comments are not your norm.Mike gave you his response, so I'll leave it at that.

Guest 727Fan

You know, perhaps it's wise to just relax here a minute.Ever since Mike posted his first note about being harassed for perceived imperfections in his models, a sudden psychosis in the community has appeared.Anniette was next to tell her experiences. Rick Sasala and Garry J Smith also testified to what Mike and Anniette were saying. Several other designers spoke up too. Didn't Simubuild fold under the same pressures?As much as I believe Hornit's sincerity in asking Mike about a detail potential he was thinnking was possible, it probably wasn't the right time.Most of us are upset that our prolific designers and repainters are suffering, and there is little we can do to support them from our PC monitor screens except to write notes. I feel inadequate doing that.I want to go outside and do some damage to those harrassing our friends!Be that as it may!And we all have a vested interest in keeping our designers and painters happy, too. We're looking at BURN-OUT!And it's true. Who among us wouldn't say that maybe we're spoiled. After all, it's been less than a year since 2002 arrived with new toys like GMAX and VCs. These folks in our community have given us sooooo many gifts to enhance our fun.Maybe we should just put the auto-pilot on for awhile and bank left away from ugly clouds.Just my humble opinion. Sorry about any soapbox.Rick

Mike,As a person that has, at times, received a great deal of negative email for one reason or another, just let me comment that for every negative posting or email you receive, there are easily a hundred or more individuals that feel just the opposite, me for one. Your aircraft designs are really terrific and I know absolutely that there are litterly thousands of individuals that have been impressed and greatly entertained with and from your work. I wouldn't put to much to those that complain about this detail or that detail, because there simply are some individuals that will complain about anything rather than look at the good side of it. Those same people would probably complain about winning the California Lottery, right after they discovered that they personally had to go to Sacramento to pick up their newly won millions, go figure!Considering that you have been releasing one outstanding aircraft after another for some time now, its no wonder you want to take some time away, I feel the same about my monthly feature (Bear's Picks), because downloading (I'm stuck with a 56K modem), installing, testing, and evaluating 100s of files each and every month also gets a bit tedious at times and I haven't had the chance to catch my breath for nearly 2 years now. Some day I would like to get serious and do some flying (simming) for myself, but as long as I have those monthly picks to do, that possibility is highly unlikely.Bear!

Go flying I mean !! ;-)I posted in Mikes Vacation thread as well.... not only designers get burn-out... I sometimes think that the whole hobby is turning us upside down these days. Is AVSIM you 'work'??? I know, you might feel it as an obligation (so do I....) but is that right !? Hell no !Go fly and let 'em pick their own picks for a few months buddy ... ;-) :-wave :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest CharlesH

Hi Francois:Totally agree what you said. Everyone gets burned out now and again. BTW: I did enjoy the nice article about flying in the Alps. Nice pictures and great right up. I love to see the same story here. Many people might be interested. Just a thought.Charles

Guys,I really don't see what Hornit here has done wrong.He made a polite request to a designer, not a demand, not unneccessary criticism, nothing rude... just a polite request.Why don't you back off instead, it's not your place to start acting like a couple of brats over nothing.Ridiculous...Tero

PPL(A)

Hi JetNinja,Yes I do love my "chrome" effects and cannot be critiqued for not shining up my aircraft enough - however, I also do some dirty textures for aircraft - have a look at what I have done with Mike's L1011 texture on:http://www.gjsmith.com/textures/l1011.htmSeveral other aircraft also have been dirtied up - over the last few days I have been in the processing of also dirting up the Ansett B727 version that I recently released for another of Mike's aircraft.Garry J. Smith at http://www.gjsmith.comAircraft Texture Tinkererhttp://www.gjsmith.com/images/GJS-banner.gif