Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jack

Time for a vacation

Guest SoarPics

Hi Mike,I can understand your feelings. I'm in the process of selling my business because... it's just not fun anymore. Time for a change. You have given the community the great gift of your talent and dedication. For this we owe you a huge debt of gratitude. This is a hobby, and a hobby should be fun. Some of your recent posts revealed that it just hasn't been fun for you lately. I have found that we enjoy our creations more when we enjoy the process of creating. Finally, and most important of all, you are a fellow simmer (though some of the selfish amongst the community seem to think otherwise), and we all hope to see you here in the forums. As wonderful as your creations are, I enjoy interacting with you about our hobby just as much.Have fun... per your definition.

Guest Scott Campbell

Wow...can I go delete my comment and start over? ;-)

Hi buddy, fully understand where you are coming from and I am NOT going to say "please stay on it, please continue" ...!!In stead, I will URGE you to PLEASE get out of it !!! :-) At least for a while... Very wise decision. When this hobby of ours reaches a point that you get stomache aches because you feel obliged to finish something in time, or do something a certain way..... then i't is NOT the hobby anymore. It has become WORK. Even WORSE.. because it does not bring any money to the table. :-(SO GET OUT !! Wind down, reflect on what it was that got you started in the first place, and see if you can go back to that situation."If not, then, well, perhaps it is time for a different 'hobby'.I am pretty sure the way things are looking, that one day I will take my own advice and disappear from the 'scene' for some time... you are right Mike, there are many people out there that don't seem to be able to distinguish between something you do because YOU like doing it - and they might benfit on the sides from it - and something you are OBLIGED to do for THEM. Sad, but oh so true.And I won't even touch on the subject of apparent diminishing education and knowing how to behave :-(Warm regards,Francois :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Guest CharlesH

Hi Mike:You don't know how much respect I have for you. Words cannot express my feelings for all your talent in making those great planes for us to fly. I hope that you have a great vacation from designing planes. Take it easy. You deserve it. I think on a broader picture, many individuals need to really examine what it takes to design planes, panels and scenery for all of us to enjoy. I posted a earlier message on this subject some time ago. Its not too hard to just say thanks for making planes, panels and scenery for all of us to enjoy. Why cannot people drop a line and say thanks that's it. No, some people will have to say this is wrong, cabin is wrong and the list can go on and on. I think people expect perfection in a inperfect world, especially from freeware developers. Payware, is a another story. Which I will not get into. People have to quit demanding perfection. There is nothing wrong with pointing out what may be wrong with something, to a point. Each freeware developer has their own point of how much is too much and I would not guess where that should be. Lets give them a break. Maybe AVSIM should block emails for freeware developers and allow them their privicy away from those individual who expect perfection. There has got to be something done about it. I don't know the answers. I think that AVSIM might open a discussion on this and work some solutions out. I fear the problem is only going to get worse before it gets better. Look at what Heather, Anneitte, Mike Stone, and probably others have gone through. Its time to take a stand. The problem cannot be simply sweeped up and put under the carpet and hope it goes away. Lets open some dialogue on this. (As I get off my soap box)Anyway, thanks to Mike Stone and others for making flightsimmulation fun for me and many others. Charles

Mike,Everything I would want to say here as already been said, but I would add that I for one have throughly enjoyed your aircraft and I am going to miss your almost weekly uploads. There comes a time when it is probably a good idea to get away for a bit of a rest, especially considering what you said "...its just not fun anymore!".I will sorely miss your work, but hopefully some day you'll find that fun factor again, as there are a lot of people here at AVSIM and in the forums that really have enjoyed your work and the fact that you've been kind enough to share your work with all of us (as freeware) has been greatly appreciated by the vast majority. Thanks Mike for all you've done for the community! Hopefully you won't stay a stranger to our forums here.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d6b2d9e068c7d40.jpg

Mike, Most of it has been said by many of your friends. But my thanks for hours of pure enjoyment.jim

First of all, thanks once again to those that have and continue to support me, thru thick or thin. It is GREATLY appreciated.Secondly, let me clarify a couple of things, so there are no misconceptions. I'm not doing this because of anything any one person said, or any particular incident. It's the accumulation of masses of it over a period of time. And yes I know the difference between those that make suggestions and comments and those that just complain. I suspect most people would have to actually see my e-mail inbox to really understand. And it's not really even the complaints or the complainers that I'm trying to get away from. They are invevitable. It was the affect it was having on me and my designing efforts. I found myself working hours, sweating bullets, worried about how each little detail was going to be received. Worried that someone would complain about this little detail or that little nit. Every time I released a plane I got the feeling like I get when I'm going into my bosses office for a performance review. That's not what I got into flight simming for. So I'm just going to take a break and find the fun again. Mike Stone

Behind you 100% of the way my friend. I appreciate everything you have done for the community as a whole and personally thank you for giving us repainters full go at your creations. I have enjoyed every single one and even included your Goose in my new Kodiak package. You , as well as MANY other in the a/c design end, have brought me countless hours of fun. It's a feed-me/feed-you deal. You folks keep making airplanes, I'll keep making postagestamps to land them on! Take your break. Relax. IF you come back, I will, as well as many others, shall applaude you as you walk thru that door. If not, we will always applaude you for what you have done. But when you get back from vacation..say tomorrow...(that should be long enough!) you build them MIKES way. That has ALWAY surpassed my expectations. Enjoy yourself my friend. Can we all come to the airshow with you? I'll buy you a tee-shirt! :)Don

Mike-You deserve a break, go for it. :) Your contributions to the FS community have been enormous.

Hi Mike,If anyone deserves a good break it is you - I am always astonished at the speed you can produce great quality (an in all honesty slightly envious as well). It is always worth taking time to crash out, do other things and get some perspective - it can also be nice to actually do some "flying" as well.Hope that we will still see you here, and when you are ready again doing things "your way" - ignore the nit-pickers & muppets...All the best,

Guest CharlesH

Hi Mike:Take a break, have fun. As I said before, I do admire you and your significant contribution you made to the world of flight simmulation. I do hope that you will still come to AVSIM too. All my best to you and your family.Charles

Mike,As a fellow aircraft designer I know what you are talking about. I've been there, done that. I get the e-mails, "when are you going to do this, when are you going to do that, how come it's this way?" I finaly decided to say" The HE double hockey sticks with it!!! I make em' my if ya don't like it delete it, but if ya do, GREAT!! You do spectacular work in record time (Way better than me :-) ). I fly your Goose more than my own planes :-) Take your break. I do it from time to time myself. And when the creative juices start flowing but I don't feel like going to the trouble of making a plane I do some scenery, or a repaint or just plain FLY!!!!! Spend time with the family and we will be here when you get back and fly whatever you decide to make.... even if it's a paper airplane :-)Take care pal,Brian

I had a great lot of support from many Fantastic people and some Emails that would Make you want to cry As they were so kind butTHe Only thing that Really made me decide to continue was Mike Stone Saying "who will Paint my Planes" ,Well I knew many people would, but it said to me if Mike Stone releases another plane I would not be able to stop myself from Making new Liverys .Such is the feeling of despair when you want to produce the best you can do only to have even one person say "why did you not do this" makes you feel So low and worthless ,that you very soon forget why you ever bothered .Well I MUST say this The Reason I love Mike Stones Aircraft is Because They are Mike STONE's They are "Works of Art" they are not Real AIrcraft ,they Carry no REAL passengers They are Mikes Interpretation of The Aircraft and Some People do not understand this . If mike Builds Them ANY other way than the way he see them then they are no longer his and No longer What I love.If People could Only see this It would be Fantastic but SOme people think PISSARO and MONET can not paint because the way they see the world is diferant , So Everybody should paint like the photograph?.What makes the World Great is diversity and it is our Diferant viewpoint that makes us indeviduals.I have Decided to continue for now and paint planes ,who cares you may ask ,but I care that i do not stop doing what I enjoy to please those who do not like what I do So I am going to paint what I want for who I want and the WAY I want and I just Hope that I can make a few others Happy as I do this.I DO Hope when you are Happy again you do the Same MIKEYour Biggest and Most Gratefull FAN Loads Of Love to you MikeAnniette xxxxxxxxxxx

You are 100% correct Anniette. We have talked about this already. Be who you are and do it your own way. The heck with everyone else. If people complain, let them do it themselves! I know Mike will be back. It's in his blood as it is for me. BUT I hope when he does get back, he adapts your reasoning (which is the same as mine) and does it his/yours/my way! Don :)

Mike, Sorry to see you "Drop out" for a while, BUT like you said, "IF IT AIN'T FUN, DON'T DO IT" this is a hobby, or it should be, not a job. Enjoy yourself. Hope to see you back here.