Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnN

Fsim winds - true or magnetic?

If I download winds via the real weather feature of FS2002 - or input imaginary winds myself - are the wind directions true or magnetic?.I need to know to do some VFR navigation.Also, in FSnav , I believe the bearings that the programme computes are magnetic - is this correct?Thanks Barry

Guest Jimbofly

As in real life, all wind directions broadcast via ATIS and automated weather are magnetic, not true. Runway course directions and associated numbers also represent magnetic directions, rather than true.The winds and runways in FS2K2 are accurately modelled in relation to their magnetic bearings.James

My understanding is that in real life , wind directions given out by the Met office are true - while wind directions given out by ATC are magnetic. This makes sense as you need true wind directions to be able to navigate a course at altitude - because you plot true directions from a chart . After you apply a correction for the winds , you then convert the true bearing to magnetic and this is then what you fly to your destination. Winds given by ATC are magnetic because this is what you are flying and runway directions are magnetic.BUT - I still am not sure about FS2002. I "suspect" that all wind directions are given in magnetic . This will mean that when calculating a course to fly, I would need to apply the magnetic correction to the true course BEFORE considering the wind direction to find the course to fly.Any more comments -- c'mon you VFR flyers.Barry

Guest KenG

Well, why don't you do a little experiment and make the determination? Seriously. I don't know whether FS issues mag or true wind directions. It shouldn't be too hard to determine. Go to a region with a large magnetic variation and apply a wind from a certain direction and do your ded reckoning. If you assume the winds given are magnetic, then plot your mag heading accordingly and see if you get to your waypoint correctly. If not, then because true north and mag north should be sufficiently different, you will be off by that angle.BTW, you are correct in that METARs and other "published" meteorological sources for flight planning give winds in true headings, while ATC will usually tell you the headings in magnetic. They don't want you pulling out your E6B, handheld calculator, or abacus while trying to intercept the radial for an NDB approach in thick IMC. ;-)

Guest JohnN

Hi Guys,I raised this question with MS-FS support and the technician said winds were designated in True direction, not Mag.I utilize FSMETO(for local winds etc.)and apply local variation to the winds as displayed in FSNavigator to adjust the headdings. It results in a closer tracking of the flight plan course.John