Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

New Dash-8 Gauge crash...............

Guest United

Just downloaded Mr.Frolov goodlooking Dash 8, but when I choose it from the aircraft in my FS2002Pro (under windows xp), it crashes FS2002 saying it's a prob. with the dash8all.gau file. I have E-mailed Mr.Frolov with the problem and wonder if others will have a similar problem. Might be a WIndows XP thing, as usual.

It's been working fine for me. The whole package is excellent and I have been through the complete tutorial without a hitch. The only negative comments I have are minor - taxiing is a bit weird with thrust seemingly all-or-nothing using the prop pitch, and the whole panel is so detailed that some stuff can be a little hard to read at 1600x1200. Weighed against those minor gripes, the AP implementation is superb and the NAV and APR tracking is second to none as far as I can detect.Other than that, the only thing it's lacking is an FMC and then I think PSS's Dash would be pretty-well redudant. For freeware, it's simply exceptional.Can't wait to see the flood of texture repaints that are sure to ensue.AndyEGTR

Very well done panel. I will most likly turn it over to another model though. the sounds are just incredible. Loud, Loud, Loud, is the only way to fly this one. I agree on the hard to see panels sometimes. It would also be nice to see some quick buttons to bring up the panels. I think it is time to add a third monitor here. Another thing I found is that you can not use FSNavigator to set radios, A/P, etc.http://members.shaw.ca/dan_cyxc/sigcard.jpg

Nobody has answered the original post yet, but I will - yes, it's crashing with Windows XP for me too. Dang ... I read all the documentation like a good boy, too. So to save bothering the poor author (he's a hard working student) with this lot, please do us a favour and post any answer you get from him about the gauge.It's a pity it's a single massive gauge ... these have a history of such hiccups.Dontcha just love XP sometimes? Personally, I found 98SE a great deal more reliable in many ways. XP reminds me of MS's upgrades of Word, where often documents written in the new versions have been unable to be read by the older editions, and occasionally vice versa. Yikes. This is progress?Sometimes I, too, long for stutter-free FS98!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Yep I'm having the same problem with the Gauge; I have the same configuration as you. I also contacted the author. Just waiting to hear from him.

Everything works as fast and fine as without compatibility mode, except those little problems with gauges are gone

Just to throw in a possible new wrinkle, FS2k2 crashes to the desktop when I try to load this airplane as well but (a) I am running Windows ME and (:( there is no error message that I can trace to a particular error condition. I think I am going to temporarily eliminate the gauge mentioned above and see if I can just get the airplane to at least load. Also, no one else mentioned the textures. I know there has already been a report of a plain grey and blue fuselage with no livery markings. Has anyone else experienced that?Stan V.

I tried the compatibility mode, and the gauge still crashes.

For me with Win ME, that gauge file is definitely the culprit. I did, however, randomly re-insert some of the individual gauges and everything still works. So, now I guess, the task at hand is to add them back systematically until I find which specific one(s) are causing my problem. The textures, I think, are okay as is. The livery is sparse but I think I am seeing what the author put there.Stan V.

Guest guyjr

Yep, I get the same textures. And the same behavior when loading up... crash to the desktop, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. I'm running under Win2K.

Guest guyjr

I figured out what the problem was... you must keep the name of the directory where the aircraft is installed unchanged. I always modify my add-on aircraft directory names by adding "addon_" in front of the name, so I can keep track of them. Apparently the gauge that comes with this one is hardcoded to refer only to the directory "Dash8-Q300_2". Give this a try if you're having problems with it crashing.

Mark,I thought I did reply but I guess I omitted to mention that I'm using XP Pro too and I've not experienced the guage-crash problem. Like I wrote, I did the whole tutorial - start-up to shut-down - with nary a snag. I may happen in the future but it ain't happend yet.AndyEGTR

That would make sense... the install instructions say to just dump the whole zip in to FS2k2aicraft. That's what I did, and I had no problems.AndyEGTR