Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Cessna Fans - I need a recommendation from you guys

AllI just took the step. 50 years old and Im starting ground school. Im not sure how much lapsed time can occur after finishing ground school that I must complete the flying time. Anyone know? Thought it would be a good idea to get some time in the 172! I had completed ground school back in the late 60's and had about 30 hours in a J3. Never finished as I was off to Viet Nam. Never pursued afterwords but my love for aviation has never ceased. I talked to my wife and she said great but she wasnt interested in getting in a plane with me (-: She also said something about an insurance increase.The flying group is a Cessna shop so guess what? Looking for the best Model and panel available. Would prefer something with a VC but not absolutely necessary. Appreciate your helpBobG

Guest Sabadin

Chance's are ground school has changed a bit since you took it ;). I find the default 172 is pretty good once you tone down the drag from the flaps and set up your controls right. Well, compared to the 172SPs that I fly anyway.

I agree on the GS content. Been a long time but what I remember more than anything were the discussions and lessons on weather. Thanks for you input. Im sure there are bunch's of Cessna fans so I will see what comes in.RegardsBobG

The default 172 VC panel is close to the real thing in instrument/switch layout. My own preference is the air.file by Ron Freiumuth added to the default 172. If you can fly the newer 172SP's with the 180HP engine, I'd do it. The power difference is quite noticible, but so is the hourly cost! :)FS2002 VC and FLYII172SP panels, which both duplicate the real thing.

>All >>I just took the step. 50 years old and Im starting ground >school. >Im not sure how much lapsed time can occur after finishing >ground school that I must complete the flying time. Anyone >know? Thought it would be a good idea to get some time in >the 172! I had completed ground school back in the late 60's >and had about 30 hours in a J3.Instruction is instruction, both for ground and flight. As long as you can produce a CFI signed log of it you can still use it for certification purposes. But since a lot of things have changed - the FAR's, navigation equipment (GPS) - it will be a good idea to hit the books again. Then you still have to do the FAA PPL written test (valid for 2 years for the purpose of obtaining the PPL). I would advise you to buy the Jeppesen PPL manual and FAR/AIM (Federal Aviation Regulations/Airman Information Manual). I find them to be very well organized and easy to read ([www.jeppesen.com]).Good luck,Onno Bulk(CFI)

Guest guyjr

Also, just as a pointer for anybody who is thinking of or actively pursuing a real-world pilot's license, the newsgroup "rec.aviation.student" is an invaluable source of information and support. If you have access to Usenet through your ISP, you can get to it there, or you can access the archives (updated several times a day) at groups.google.com.

Guest Twister

Hi,Aviation is like a virus, once you catch it - it's almost impossible to get rid of it.A guy who's 78 years old (!!!) just passed his PPL the other day at my club.(By the way, this guy is amazing and full of energy !)So, the fact you're over 50 shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you're keeping an open mind and as long as you're willing to invest the time and money.Flying is an extremely rewarding hobby. The freedom that you feel as a pilot is impossible to describe.So, stop hesitating - go for it !The recommendation to purchase the Jeppesen PPL manual is an excellent one - the book is very well written and should help you a lot in ground school.I would also suggest the excellent "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche (this small book is an absolute must for every individual who wants to become a pilot).As for the simulation...I understand that Dreamfleet are about to release their Cessna Cardinal - if it's as good as the Archer is - I'd say it's the most realistic sim experience one can get in FS2002.Good luckTwister

Guest dek

BobG, I think the FSD Cessna 172 is still the best out there. It was made for FS2000, but works great in FS2002. The panel has the same gauge placement and type as the one I fly in real life. Although payware quality, it is available for free at most sim sites.dek

Guest BrianC

Bob,There is no statute of limitations on ground school, but your FAA knowledge test results expire in 24 months.

If you aren't a fan of the usual usenet flaming, etc., a great resource is AVSIG, one of the oldest forums on Compuserve. Available on the web at www.avsig.com. It is populated by people using their real names and range from one of the highest-time 747 pilot in the world to newbies just into their first hour. Give it a try. Its a great place for students. Bob

Thanks to all for your input. I just received my Jeppesen training stuff and it looks at a glance to be some very good reading.Thanks again to all you input especially the links to the other sitesRegardsBobG

Tapes or DVD's from King Schools, Sporty's, as well as other's I can't think of, make ground school more interesting also. At least it did for me!L.Adamson

Guest jase439

You seek the Cessna Cardinal 177B from DreamFleet, my friend. It's due out any day. As a beta tester, let me assure you - this is THE MOST realistic Cessna for flight simulation around.It puts the MS model to shame - and, the MS model ain't too shabby :)You can find screenshots at http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/Previews/C177/84C.html