Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cotolez

Hacked Keyboard + FMS + Cockpit, all on one pc??

Guest Cotolez

Hi,I have only one pc and I'd like to build my own FMS using a hacked keyboard. (http://www.hanskrohn.com/Overview/CDU/CDU.htm)The questions are: Is it possible to control the fms and the flight simulator at the same time via 2 keyboards? Maybe with the OpenCockpits UsbKeyCard?Is a dedicated pc for FMS obligatory?Thanks for the help.Cotolez

It is possible to have two keyboards connected to one PC, if one is a USB and one is a PS style - but the problem is that the PC sees them both as keyboards, so a keystroke on either one has exactly the same effect - you can't have one keyboard controlling one program and the other controlling a different program.Also, the downside to a hacked keyboard is that keystrokes will always go to the window that has focus. The FMC on your link was designed to be run on a standalone PC networked to the MSFS one, so the FMC program would always have focus.Richard

Guest frodegh

Not sure if this is relevant, but from what I understand, it's possible with some of the encoder boards to set up custom shift-keys, and assign button combos to each input. (groovygamegear.com -> Keywiz)I don't know if FSUIPC can map crazy key combination to FS functions, but if it can, you could map the CDU inputs so they would not interfere with your usage of the main keyboard.The problem regarding program focus applies if the FMS software is a standalone program, but if the FMS software is an addon running within FS, it could work, couldn't it?I am a total newbie in this business, so I am probably not thinking straight - it was just a thought :)Good luck!

Richard is completely right. Suppose you push the "G". If your cdu program has the focus it will show a G in teh scratchpad. If FS is in control you will change your gear status.If you use the CDU from PM buy a second PC. You will need nothing more than a PPro 200 Mhz. Mostly you can buy these for a few eruros or get them for free.Use the freeware proggie keyscan.exe . It will be a great help for keyboardhecking.With the PM cdu you can reassign keys to the menu keys (instead of the standard ctrl-F1). So use the spare ones for that. I used the numpad 0-9 and the curser keys for that purposeNorberthttp://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch/