Sign in to follow this  
Daviddv

Project Magenta - "pmSounds"

Has anyone else looked at and downloaded the subject file from the Project Magenta website? I read the "news" item from the AVSIM main page and downloaded and installed the file. It creates a folder of some good sound ".wav" files that I would like to use in FS 2k2, but there was no documentation with the download, and I looked on the Project Magenta website for documentation on "how to use". Maybe I am new at using these type files, but can someone explain how I can use these files in FS 2k2?, where do they need to be installed?, what files/folders do I need to edit in FS 2k2?, etc. Thanks, Joe

Very Good Question...I would like to know as well. We could be dumb concerning this. Maybe just install them into the sound folder...maybe!. lets hope we can get a install answer on these "Project Magenta - "pmSounds".This Hobby Just Keeps Getting Better... :-yellow1Kind RegardsRobert

Vl3MQY.png

Hi,I downloaded it to And I,m puzzled as to what to do with it. I emailed their support, and am waiting for a reply. Although the fact that it came with it's own installer, leads me to believe that you should leave all the files were they were installed, and open the program up, click on the sound files you want to hear & then open FS02.I haven't tried that yet. Anyone have?George

I run the program using WideFS. All I did was install it and let it run. You don't have to click on any sounds. When I run it on my FS2002 computer with without using WideFS, all I do is start FS2002 and then the program, doesn't matter which order, it all goes through FSUIPC anyway, and it works like a charm. Again, just run the program. When you click on the sounds, you turn them off so you won't hear them. Just leave all at default.

I use WideFS as well. Do I just install it on the FS02 machine and use the cfg file on the WideFS machine to run it?George

You just run the install on what ever machine you want it to run on. Then you start the program and leave it alone. Start WideFS and FS2002 and it will do the rest.

At last we've got a FS2002 wind-shear warning!Peter Sydney Australia

Yes, I too have just downloaded and installed this, and am very puzzled by the lack of documenation. I have emailed PM and am awaiting a response.I also got an 'Error. Probably file not found' msg when I started it up after loading FS.David

Hi allI used to use Wilco van Deijl's great GPWS program.So I DL'ed PMSounds. I start FS, and then PMSounds. It is connected, and shows the current AGL. :-)But I don't get to hear the sounds. :-(I do get a list of sounds played (I think), and a series of errors.There has to be a way to point the program to the files.I must say I did do the default install in the default map.Maybe I shoud try that. LOL. I will let you know.No DC3 without a DC2;-)Cheers, RobVisit http://www.avsim.com/hangar/flight/dc2uiver/index.htm

After a number of emails with Project Magenta, i have been advised to re-install the product in the default directory on the C-drive. This has got rid of all the loading errors, but I still get no sound.Has anybody installed this and got it to work? If so, I'd love to know how, as on paper it would seem to add a lot of realism.David

I did default install. Most sounds work well. Afterbooting up FS, I minimise, then start pmSounds.I'm running it with PSS 747-400, Fsmeteo, & FSSoundScape.I deleted any sounds which duplicated those of PSS.P4 1.7 64mg Geoforce2 Pro 512 Rambus Dram on-board sound card.Peter Sydney Australia

Hi all,Since I started this thread yesterday, it seems there are others with the same problems I have. Here is the latest I have on the subject.Sent a note to Project Magenta detailing my problem, got a response from Enrico Schiratti stating that as of the time he responded to my request for help that they had received quite a number of download requests, but so far only 3 instances of the program not functioning correctly. He did go on to say that he was at a loss as to what could be causing these issues, and that it would be quite tricky to investigate. He suggested that I try updating the drivers for my soundcard. He said that he has had no issues with the program running on 4 test machines they use. He also went on to say that if it causes an error, to click on the "details" box to try to determine the source of the error.I took his suggestion and updated the sound drivers for my soundcard. I have an IBM NetVista PC with an onboard ADI SoundMax Audio card. The drivers made no change in the error I receive. I have the "pmSounds" application in a seperate folder on my C drive per the installation routine, I load the application first before I load FS2002. As soon as the initial screen for FS2002 opens, (picture of 747) I hear, "too low, terrain", but FS2002 continues to load. At this point FS2002 comes up, I select type of aircraft, location etc, and begin my flight. I hear none of the "pmSounds", just the normal sounds from FS2002. If I minimize, or shut down FS2002, sitting on my desktop is a "caution" dialog box for "pmSounds". Within the box it says: PMSOUNDS has caused an error in PMSOUNDS.DLL, pmSounds will now close. Then another line in the box reads: If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer. The only other item within the box is a "close" button, no "details" button as Enrico suggested.I am not a guru in this programming stuff, so I am at a loss to correct the problem, guess I will have to abandon these sounds for now, and hopefully someone will either come up with a "fix", or another sound package comes along. Sure would have been nice though to have the callouts as I was going down the runway.Happy FlyingJoe

Pretty much my experiences had emails from Enrico and Katy.Suggested testing by starting FS and pmSounds, then opening the PM window and clicking on various wav files listed. This worked OK, but do not get call outs taking off or landing. The callouts appear in the PM window, but there is no audio.Another thing I was told was that the software should be installed on the C-drive, instead of in the same partition as FS.I know this is freeware, but with the lack of documentation and all the problems, I am not sure I would take any of their payware.David