Sign in to follow this  

Poll: Which system is more FS stable?

Guest Joshieca

Since I can't post an actual poll on here I will have to ask that you post your comments and system info on this post. Basically what I want to do is to see which system, if any, crashes more often...AMD or INTEL.If your FS crashes on you, locks up on you, restarts your computer, etc., more than 1 out of 5 flights, then please post your info. Please include your system's cpu type, video card, system ram, cpu temp when your using the sim, and if your overclocking or not. Thanks..---------------CPU:Video:RAM:TEMP:O/C:Comments:--------------Mine...CPU: AMD 1900+Video: Ti4600RAM: 512MBTEMP: 60cO/C: Not overclockingComment: Seems to crash more when my temps go above 58c[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day!

You might want to look into some better cooling. 60 is pretty hot. What kind of heatsink/fan do you use? How many case fanse? Did you use thermal grease on the cpu?Mine:CPU: XP 2000+Video: Geforce 3RAM: 512MB PC2700Temp: 40 idle, 48-49 under loadO/C: FSB @ 140MHzComment: No stability problems.Matt

Specs (I've added some other essentials).---------------CPU: P3/800O/S: 98SES/C: SB LiveVideo: Visiontek GeForce 2/TIRAM: 256 MegsTEMP: 35 Idle 39-40 under loadO/C: NoneM/B: Iwill BD100+Case: Antec Gemstone with cpu exhaust fan, 250W power supplyJoystick: Kraft 2-axis serial joystick---------------Comments: I've run FS2002 up to twelve hour sessions with no lock-ups. I've seen gauge related lockups when switching views--perhaps once a month, and with specific panels. But I've never--repeat...never--have had a lockup in any phase of flight where I was just flying along or on final approach. FS2002 is the most stable simulation I've ever run on my system.

Guest Joshieca

>You might want to look into some better cooling. 60 is >pretty hot. What kind of heatsink/fan do you use? How many >case fanse? Did you use thermal grease on the cpu? >I am using a Volcano 7+ (I think) and yes with thermal Artic Silver II. I have four 80MM case fans, one fan on the power supply, one fan for the cpu, one on the mobo cpu, one on the video card, 8 total. Yeah I know its runing a bit hot...and I have been looking into a better cooling method.

CPU: AthlonXP 1900+ (1.6 GHz)O/S: Windows XP ProS/C: Hercules GS Fortissimo IIVideo: Hercules 3D Prophet III Ti500 (GF3 Ti500 chip, 64MB video memory)RAM: 512MB Crucial PC2100 DDRTEMP: 36C idle 46C full loadO/C: NoneM/B: Epox 8KHA+ (VIA KT266A chipset)Case: Enlight case with 350W Enermax Power SupplyCooling:CPU FAN: Thermal Integrations something (don't remember the model number, it has a 70mm 5600 RPM fan on it and a Cu core)Case: 1x120mm fan, 2x80mm fan, 2x 40mm fans, Power Supply has dual fans (1x80mm, 1x92mm)Baybus fan controller to manually control case fans, SpeedFan software fan controller to automatically adjust CPU fan speed depending on CPU temperatureFS has crashed twice since I installed it. Once when saving a flight and once when trying to fly over the north pole.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest daves0

Man...you either may not have applied the cooling device correctly, or you may well have a bad CPU....I leave my system on 24/7 running Seti@home--CPU hog...plus run MFSF2002 at the same time....AMD 1800+ 512ram, only the 2 exhaust case fans, and the AMD supplied cooling fan...my CPU never goes above 43 degrees.No locks, crashes, or anything else

Guest daves0

>>>FS has crashed twice since I installed it. Once when saving >a flight and once when trying to fly over the north pole. Will it crash if you fly over the equator???Sounds like you have a negative temperature coefficient going on or something

Guest Joshieca

>Man...you either may not have applied the cooling device >correctly, or you may well have a bad CPU.... >>I leave my system on 24/7 running Seti@home--CPU hog...plus >run MFSF2002 at the same time....AMD 1800+ 512ram, only the >2 exhaust case fans, and the AMD supplied cooling fan...my >CPU never goes above 43 degrees. >No locks, crashes, or anything else You know mine used to never get this hot...I thought it was just because of the summer months...So what HSF are you using??

Guest RobK

CPU: P4 2.2 GhzVideo: GeForce 3 Ti500RAM: 512MB PC800 RDRAMTEMP: ?O/C: Not overclockedOS: Windows XP Home EditionComment: The only time FS2002 has crashed on my system was while opening another window such as map view and then switching back to the main window. I've never had it crash during a flight though. It's very rare that FS2002 crashes on my system.Rob

I've never tried crossing the equator. But I think FS has a problem with the north- and south poles, there was a thread about it some days ago. Doesn't bother me that much, I usually fly over Europe and the US, not over the North Pole :)

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest daves0

>>Man...you either may not have applied the cooling device >>correctly, or you may well have a bad CPU.... >>>>I leave my system on 24/7 running Seti@home--CPU hog...plus >>run MFSF2002 at the same time....AMD 1800+ 512ram, only the >>2 exhaust case fans, and the AMD supplied cooling fan...my >>CPU never goes above 43 degrees. >>No locks, crashes, or anything else >>You know mine used to never get this hot...I thought it was >just because of the summer months... >>So what HSF are you using?? If you're asking me..I'm not sure what my fan is...but its the one that came in the CPU box...the AMD retail version 1800+. I've heard they are usually not all that good, but my chip stays pretty darn cool...maybe the sensor isn't working :)I do have a fairly large case---very open...although my room is pretty warm--81 f. right now...actually, I lied..my CPU is now 45.The fan on there is actually only 4500rpm....maybe I'm just lucky. 2 hard drivesGF3 Ti500

CPU: P4 2.26 @ 2.64. FSB = 155, 1.65 volts Heatsink: Swiftech MCX460 w/ 80MM DeltaPSU: Enermax 430W dual fanVID: Leadtek GF4 Ti4600 running at stock (Only a day old..)RAM: 512MB XMS3000 @ 207Mhz 2,3,3,6Tem: 50c O/C: Yep :-hahOS: Win XP ProI experience crashing in MSFS when the FSB is set to 166Mhz, I can run benchmarks just fine at that setting, I think it has to do with the memory timings, I still need to tinker with it. Hopefully some XMS3200 will do the trick. Otherwise it runs just fine 24/7 running folding@home

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Like you Rob, I've never had a crash with the P4. Solid as a rock even at 2.72Ghz - a 500Mhz OC on the stock Intel HSF. The P4 Northwoods are an amazing chip. TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.30's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 12055http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4088814