Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Finally...I flew....I flew (in the new Dash 8)

Yes....finally, I feathered it or something after both engines were started, and I heard that UNMISTAKENABLE WHINE and the plane came ALIVE. 2 days and much reading and I finally got some speed and got off the ground. I STILL CAN'T STOP THE INCESSANT ALARM NOISE WHILE ROLLING AND TAKING OFF, AND THE WIERD NOISE WHEN LANDING AND CUTTING THROTTLES. But, wow, what a feeling of reality. This plane is an unmistakenable major move in the direction of what we have all been waiting for.ALL DESIGNERS AND SOFTWARE COMPANIES SHOULD TAKE A LESSON FROM THIS PROJECT. If you can help with the elimination of the extraneous noises I'm hearing...I'd appreciate your input. Stan

Great aircraft.....I can't seem to get rid of the alarm either and also can't seem to get all the caution lights to go out. Any help would be appreciated.C. Evans ftd1949@cox.net

Make sure that the ignition is set to MAN, the autofeather is selected ON, the bleed air is selected OFF with MIN bleed on the rotary selector and all AC FANS are OFF as well. Ensure that it is in trim (left side of the throttle quad) and that flaps are set to 5 or 15. I really cannot understand why people are having a problem with this panel. Simply follow the tutorial - do EVERYTHING it says in that order - and you should have no problem. I swear people are trying to fly this thing without reference to the checklists. Would you fly a real aircraft in that manner? I have yet to have a single problem by actually following the checklists after running through the tutorial once.The only thing I have a problem with is the flare as it seems to be extremely critical when the power is reduced to flight idle and the flare started. If you hit nosewheel first, you bounce about 50' straight up. However, that is a technical rather than procedural issue. Procedures are easily followed through the checklist which is a separate download on the author's site. Some folks may have missed this two page list and it's EXTREMELY important.Cheers,AndyEGTR

Thanks for the info. I guess my biggest problem are the old eyes I'm trying to read everything on the panel with. The bifocals don't seem to help much either:)

Guest firehawk44

I finally got my Dash 8 up to 5000 too (without reading the manual or any checklists). Simply awesome! However, upon returning to O'Hare for a landing, I lost both engines when I lowered the power to reduce airspeed. Fortunately I was able to restart them and safely return to O'Hare but the engines kept turning off whenever I pulled the throttle back. Obviously, I did something wrong (guess you can't bring the throttle all the way back) and will now follow the checklists on the author's site before I attempt another flight.Sorry Stan, I don't have any advice concerning the noises you're hearing but congratulations for at least getting it up and flying.In response to Andy, your tips and assistance are appreciated. I think the reason for these forums is to share our experiences and get expert advice and assistance from those more knowledgeable. Thanks for the info concerning the new checklist on the author's site.I'm looking forward to downloading a repaint... Have fun flying!Jim

I have printed the manuals and I have read them over and over but the problem is that it does not tell you where to look for the switches. There are 2 items in the manual that I have not been able to find for 2 days. Maybe that's why I get the alarm when I put full throttle.Who can show me where the FLT FC fans are? I found the RECIRC Fan but not teh FLT FC Fan.Also the PTU. It says turn on the stby. hydraulic pumps and the PTU. I found the hyd. pumps but no PTU!ANyway, I love this plane..it's the most realistic one I have seen for FS and the sounds are unbelivable.Take careMike

I think the FLT FC fan switch is on the other side of that bank. It goes RECIRC / BLEED1 / BLEED2 / FLT FC. Not sure about the middle two (I'm at work at the moment), but it's something like that. Is the PTU a button next to the hyd. pump switches? I'm just going from memory here, so I could be way off . . .Hope that helps a bit.Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/sig1.jpg

The Flt FC fans are on the same row as the AC switches - the switches in order from left to right are RECIRC, BLEED1, BLEED2, FLT FC. I guess having a 21" monitor helps ;-)The PTU is the square switch immediately to the right of the other two hyd pump switches. Press it (it's dark at first) and then it lights up with 'PTU' in green.Hope that helps,AndyEGTR

Believe me Jim, I'm no more knowledgeable than any one else - I just read what it said on the can . As to the engines shutting down, do you have ingnition set to manual for the approach? Also make sure autofeather is selected ON for both T/O and landing.AndyEGTR

>Thanks for the info. I guess my biggest problem are the old >eyes I'm trying to read everything on the panel with. The >bifocals don't seem to help much either:) There was a posting yesterday in this Avsim forum which described some simple changes you can make to the Panel.cfg file (using Windows Notepad) which make the popup panels slightly larger and hence readable -- worked great for me (using 10245x768 on 17' monitor)Barry

>>>which is a separate download on the author's site. Some folks may >>have missed this two page list and it's EXTREMELY important>>can't find it?? >>duh...I found it. never mind >>>http://home.augustakom.net/oleksiy.frolov/Dash8/ >>click on the download link Is the info in this checklist on the authors website the same as the that included in the AVsim download? The file on the website is a Powerpoint file -- which I cant read!! :(Barry

Guest firehawk44

Thanks Andy. I had the autofeather on but left the ignition set to norm. That probably was my problem. I printed the checklist from the author's site and will begin using it in the future. Thanks for your help.Jim

Thanks Greg and Andy...I got it now. I finaly took off with it. :DMike