Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boone

What's everyone's normal ROC and ROD???

I just wanted to get some idea of what most of everyone uses as a normal Rate of climb after take off, and a normal descent from say 30,000 ft. I know the formula for when you're closer to the ground, but how many FPM does everyone descend on their initial descent?RobbyG

Robby,There's no such thing as normal ROC or ROD that people use on climb or descent.However, there are a few rules-of-thumb that give you an idea as to when to start, for example, the descent if you know certain parameters. Check this out:http://www.flightinfo.com/rulesofthumb.aspJust as a cautionary comment: looking at the vertical speed of your a/c is NOT the way to go. Different aircraft have different _AIRSPEEDS_ that give you ROC suitable for a certain situation. It is very rare to use V/S mode (autopilot) even in a large jet (except after the actual descent to significantly lower alt has alreadt been made) because V/S offers no speed protection, i.e. your airspeed is the parameter "on the loose" then, and that's something you want to avoid. Airspeed is the primary parameter to use in climbs and descents, not rate-of-X.cheers.Tero

PPL(A)

Guest Boone

What's your preffered mode of transport?