Sign in to follow this  

Public Notice about Texture artwork by Garry J. Smith

If Gary decides to say sod off I've had enough. You'll be sorry then.How many of you posted in these forums crying your little hearts out when various talented design groups and individuals packed in ? Most of them packed in because of the whingers and moaners and a few are wondering if it's worth it..and they do it for 0.I admire the courage of your conviction to come out and post this thread in the first place, at least it stops some malicious through the back door Chinese whispers.I'd like to know what cost is involved for Garry for his paint tools? for the price he's asking for his time be it in US or AUS dollars believe you me, he'll have to do an awful lot of repaints to even consider a legit copy of Photoshop and other paint tools ?With the greatest of respect to you Gary, I'm personally dont like reflective textures, it dosnt stop me admiring your work ! I've seen the internet and flightsimmers for a long while now, more and more I see the non contributing freeloaders enter, throw thier toys out the pram, then off to the next toy for boys. Charge away, experience dosnt come cheap !George

Guest mikehaska

My gravest apologies for following the authors requests that "The software, or any part of it, may not be included in any other product that is sold or distributed for a fee."The textures are part of the package, Garry, you can't deny that. Do a simple test- has anyone flown your textures without the aircraft model? If not, then you have based your work on an existing freeware model, and you owe part of your proceeds to them.I find it funny how people are changing their positions like a see-saw. When Carenado edited a file and sold it, everyone was up in arms. When Garry does it, though, it's fine by everyone. Garry, I have nothing against you, but when I started simming and reading these forums, I quickly learned that whenever anyone re-released freeware as payware, a big fuss was made. I understand you are charging for your time and effort, but what about Ferdy? He charges people to download freeware. But he could defend himself by saying "I am only charging for the effort of making the website." Carenado (which I referenced above) took an airfile, and edited it, then released it in a payware package. They could have defended themselves by saying "We are charging for the experience we used by editing the file."We can't pick and choose our battles, people. The golden rule everyone knows is that selling freeware for profit is wrong. Garry might feel that repaints are soley his own, but I doubt he starts with a blank white screen and repaints from there. You obviously use existing textures and edit them to your needs. It's not a "creation" it's a "manipulation."I would urge great caution. We can't condemm one person and praise another for doing the same thing.

Mike,I guess you may as well agree to disagree with everyone else in the thread then !!!!

>>Again thank for saying it so clearly - I also noticed that >>you identified the reasoning for my hourly rate in lieu of >>product cost. And I am impressed in you bringing some hint >>of the realities of this issue. >>However, unless a freeware author clearly states that a >particular release "may not be repainted," logically one can >conclude that they have full expectations that it >will be repainted. In fact, the latest Dash8 has been published with that complete intention - stated by the designer! Barry

Hmmm interesting idea - so if someone creates textures for the aircraft from scratch is it moral (or legal) to upload them ???

Guest mikehaska

Yup! :-)(I hate to be such a donkey's butt, but because of many commitments to work and outside projects, I've only flown once the past 3 months, and I get cranky when I don't fly! :-lol)

Well, This discussion has indeed been fruitful and informative.I am glad that I have posted this thread to clear the air and am very pleased to know that I will not be offending too many people when I charge a fee for service occassionally for VA work. Undoubtedly, some will persist with the concept that I am "selling Freeware" which is emphatically not the case - but we all could go on forever about the subject and not be anywhere different in our perspectives.During this discussion over the last few days I have done 4 new textures for personal requests that will be released tomorrow (FREE) and I will continue to do FREE textures until the fun goes out of it - which I hope is a long long time away. And for those that are interested I have received absolutely NO requests from VA's in relation to fee for service tasks over the last few day. This is fine because now that the game rules are declared I know that only those who are aware that there may be a cost for my time and effort will request livery paints for their needs.Again - Thank you all for your input both positive and negative as it has been an opportunity to clear the air about this issue and I look forward to many more years of texture painting for some of the absolutly great aircraft that are in the FS environment.Happy simming to you all.Garry J. Smith at http://www.gjsmith.comAircraft Texture Tinkererhttp://www.gjsmith.com/images/GJS-banner.gif

>During this discussion over the last few days I have done 4 >new textures for personal requests that will be released >tomorrow (FREE) and I will continue to do FREE textures >until the fun goes out of it - which I hope is a long long >time away. Hi GarryThe most DESPERATELY needed textures in all the whole Fsim world right now is for the new Dash8!!!!!! Hint Hint!!!For such a wonderful new addition to our hobby (and FREEWARE as well - incredible!) -- any airline livery would have to be better than the current blank textures. The designer of the Dash8 himself said he would leave it up to painters to paint his new aircraft.Regards Barry

>Hi Barry, >>I will check it out - what is the download details please >just to save me the search - busy doing textures at the >moment. >>Any suggestions on a livery (not a virtual :-lol ) for me to >do my first tinker with. Hi GarryThe file for download from AVSIM is dh831001.zip -- a large download of 13 meg . But it is interesting to note that it has now been downloaded by 8000 people - and it was only released 1 week ago.A Qantas livery would be very nice! :)

GaryI think you are very Brave to do this for money ,And if anybody thinks this is bad of you then they are I expect thinking of themselves.I heard Mike stone Say he does not mind you paint his Aircraft and sell textures you made ,well some still seem to complain for him and the way it is for me as a artist Is I may paint your portrait but because it is your face I paint I should do it for nothing seems a bit crazy.If I paint a road that has your House in it ,I must pay you before I can sell my painting ,because without your house There will be no painting?I am missing a point here I am sure but this is my view on it .Really Good luck Gary with what you choose to do in a free world and I just wish people would stop finding the fault in everything people do .We are not a enemy we are just people who create and if people feel they are happy to pay money then that is all choises.I choose not to exept money because I do not want to but if I did want to then I would :) Now Good Luck As I said and most important ENJOY What you do so well :)anniette xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Garry,I would assume your charging for your time in painting for VA's only....Correct ? _____________________________________________________________________"Third - Am I charging Fees for some textures. Yes I am now - I charge fees for doing textures for Virtual Airline's - originally, I did all texture request for anyone and everyone including VA textures but through time the VA liveries have become the most demanding of all of the tasks. Many people have their say in the end result and that means that I am spending an inordinate amount of time doing the VA texture and edits."_____________________________________________________________________The above pretty much explains that your painting/charging for VA's only, I just want to confirm that as your answer....If your planning to charge for texture's that include copyrighted tradmarks of certain real world airlines, (AA for example) then we need to talk....I will be disscussing this matter with fellow POSKY member's to see what their thoughts are.Sincerely,Clinton L. RileyProject-OpenSky

Hi Clinton,Yes mate - I will be charging ONLY VA's for my efforts to create artwork - the advantage of doing artwork for VA's is that most of them use their own livery name, scheme and logos - some schemes and logos I have been requested to design as well.The nature of my realtime work enables me to be fully aware of international copyright and I am familiar with trademark requirements and principles for reproductions etc. In general I normally would avoid trademarked liveries or logos unless it is for fun and free release as I have done on many textures released on my site. However, if there is a VA that intends to use trademarked logos, liveries or schemes then I would place the onus on the requester to obtain written permission from the owner/s before I proceed with any work. No permission - no texture.Hope that answers your enquiry.Regards and happy simming - by the way Project OpenSky does turn out some increadable aircraft and textures - congratulations on a quality team effort on all of them, I know how hard it is to consistently coordinate and manage project releases.Garry J. Smith at http://www.gjsmith.comAircraft Texture Tinkererhttp://www.gjsmith.com/images/GJS-banner.gif