Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

FS2002 - hanging up / rebooting - thanks

Last week I posted a question - FS2002 hanging / re booting. Sometimes after 1 minute, other times after 2 hours. AMD 2000XP, SOYO board. Several people suggested ideas, one being that 1 gig of RAM was too much. So now I'm only using 500Mb RAM and no hang ups since!Thanks all for your help! (now I have to find something to do with the other 500Mb RAM!)

Guest TerryT

Andy, Sounds like the same problem I was having. I only had 768 MB of DDR 2700 ram on a Win XP Home system (P4, 2.2GHz)and when I took out 1 stick (256 MB), knock on wood, I have not had a reboot/lock-up since. I also install a GeForce 4 4600 video card as I was getting a lot of video errors and a blue tint over the scenery that would come and go.Terry

Guest gasebah

Hi,I am glad I could help. It is great to get some feedback to your suggestions once in while, because you only than you can verify if your answer to the problem was the right one. I was pretty sure about this one though as I went through the same procedure.However most of the people do not give any feedback whatsoever after the problem is finally fixed. That is not a good procedure, as we could all learn something from those feedbacks.Cheers,Alex

Andyfree1,Just to let you know that I run 1024mb of DDR Ram on a Soyo Dragon Plus mobo with a Nvidia 4400 Leadtek Winfast video card. I do not get hang ups if I disable my virus scanner from running in the background - this has been my only source of hang-ups. You may want to reinstall your RAM again if your virus scanner is indeed running in the background as my framerates are locked on 23 with everything maxxed :)cheers,Matt

Guest JohnN

Hi Andy,Do you think it is possible that one of your memory banks could have been incompatible with the others?John

Guest gasebah

Here is the explanation a friend of mine who is working with AMD told me:When you are using 1GIG of Ram with 4-way overleave and reasonably fast timings the number of accesses to the ram is so high that the ram will get awfully hot, and the result is a very unstable system. The only way to get the rig stable again is either to disable 4-way overleave or to go very slow on ram timings or both. I tried 4 different types of ram, always similar sticks. I was driving my dealer totally nuts. After I finally got them running stable I had tuned down the ram so much that my rig actually was slower than before. If you consider that even with a lot of add-ons you will barely make use of more than 521MB it really does not make a lot of sense. I am running 512MB with the sharpest timings and I am well.Alex

What speed RAM are you using DDR2100, DDR2700, or higher? And are they from the same manufacturer, same batch, etc?