Sign in to follow this  
Guest TerryT

Which is the best FF stick

I would like to hear about some experiences regardingthe FF sticks from Microsoft and Logitech. Which is best?Which works best with FS2K2?

I don't recommend FF at all very much, but if you really want it, I'd take the MS one. The Logi doesn't even have a rudder function.

>I don't recommend FF at all very much, but if you reallyWhy? Have you tried it? >want it, I'd take the MS one. The Logi doesn't even have a >rudder function.As far as I have read both Logitech and MS has the possibilityto twist the handle.But I would never dream about simulating rudder that way. Eitherget real pedals (which I plan to do sometimes soon) or turn on auto coordination.

Guest Eagle92395

I really enjoy my MS FF2 joystick. It's actually a lot of fun to fly in bad weather with it. The airplanes go everywhere. If you're into flying large jets, then basically you get no FF. I fly my little old C172S and the Grumman Goose (Mike Stone's version) just about everywhere. I don't really like the large airliners, so the FF and good visuals are my favorite. I use the MS Precision wheel and it's pedals as rudder pedals. I'm only missing Toe Brakes.

I just got the MSFFB wheel with the pedals for racing sims. Also just got the FFB2 joystick for flightsims. Haven't used either yet. Did I understand correctly that you're using the wheel to fly. Was wondering how you fly with the wheel as there's no elevator on it?? I was also wondering if there's a way to make the Wheel's pedals work with the FFB2 joystick?? I suspect not!!

Guest Eagle92395

Hi, no of course I fly with the joystick!! And yes, the pedals work wonderfully with the joystick. Make sure both devices are plugged in, then in the joystick assignments in Flight Simulator, just assign the rudder axis to the pedals, and disable it in the joystick. Delete ALL other assignments to the wheel and assign the rest to the joystick. Works like a charm. You just are missing toebrakes, which I use the trigger for on the joystick. If you need help just ask and I can email you detailed instructions. Good luck!

That's awesome!!!!!!! Always wanted pedals for the rudders but wouldn't give up my MSSWFFB stick. Next question? I'm gonna be running XP Home. I understand that I just plug in the joystick and let Windows load the software or use the control panel/controllers/add/autodetect and that the software on the CD is not used for the joystick?? At least that's what everyone has said on the boards when using the FFB2 stick with FS2002 to avoid problems.Now, what about the FFB Steering Wheel software. Does XP Home have that too and does it autodetect?? Or did you install the software from the CD for the steering wheel??? and; YES; if you already have detailed instructions printed out somewhere; please email them to me. My email is: rpanderson@chartermi.net .Thanks; this info just made my day.

Guest Eagle92395

MGD,sent you the instructions via email. If you need help, just email me back. Have fun! Adds a whole new dimension to the flying.

Guest TerryT

I have been using the Logitech stick for the past year and I have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes it seems like it is right on the mark and other times it just wobbles all around like a drunk. Lately, I have not been able to keep it (stick) from leaning to the left, (even with re-calerbration). I think one the internal motors is going bad. If fact trying to make left turns is almost impossible at time. I do believe I will have to replace it and most likely will do so with a "Non" force feedback type. I will most likely get another Logitech (the one with the rudder via twisting the handle). I just like the feel of the stick and do not need a gazillion pushbuttons like most of the sticks on the market have. Right now I have more buttons on my Logitech Force Feedback stick than we had on our F-4E and F-111D flight simulators. If those two jets could perform their mission with plain old sticks (yes we had some buttons) why can't they make something like that for FS2002. I would get some rudder pedals but if and when you can find them, they are so un-realistic. Three or four years ago, Thrustmaster use to build a nice set of pedals that looked and felt like real ones. They even had toe brakes. I seem to remember they cost about $120 back then.I have not had the chance to fly a "New" generation Cat D type simulator with all of the bells and whistles, but I can tell you that a good visual system does wonders for increasing the realism of a simulated flight. Compared to FS2002 scenery, our Air Force system looked like a bad cartoon. Then to, that was nearly twenty years ago and that system was multi-million dollars back then. Our sims had airframe buffet systems and they were so unrealistic that the crews kept them turned off. That was good for us too in that it was one less item that we did not have to mess with maintenance wise. In fact, it could and did start to pull the mounting bolts out of the concrete floor. (18-24 inches long). That is my take on "Force Feedback" sticks.Terry

Thanks Anthony. That looks really simple. Good to here that there's no need to load any software. XP sounds like a real piece of work. I mean that in a good way. Hopefully everything will work OK on the first try.