Sign in to follow this  
Guest John_Hirsch

Help with section of Aircraft.cfg

Could someone please explain the entries in the [Radios] section of the aircraft.cfg or suggest a web site that provides some help? I noticed that not all [Radios} section are the same and some aircraft.cfg files don't appear to have a [Radios] section! Here is the one for the default C172:[Radios]// Radio Type=availiable, standby frequency, has glide slopeAudio.1=1Com.1=1, 1Com.2=1, 1Nav.1=1, 1, 1Nav.2=1, 1, 0Adf.1=1Transponder.1=1Marker.1=1Thanks for your help!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Sorry! I meant the "RADIOS" section! I guess brackets don't work in the forum message.Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

I don't have the answer, but try downloading the Aircraft SDK. It will have and explanation of most of the entries in aircraft.cfg.Matt

Guest John_Hirsch

Al -Not really that difficult to understand. You must remember that a zero means NO (or OFF in some cases) and a one means YES (or ON in some cases) when it pertains to this section of the aircraft.cfg file. Each entry (line) can have either one, two or three parameters that are either NO or YES.Looking at your example and paying attention to the remark (line that begins with two slants) the order of parameters (entries) is Radio Type, followed by its availiability, does it use a standyb frequency and, finally, does it have a glide slope function?For example, the first line after the remark says:We have an audio (control panel)The second line says:We have a com(munication) radio with a standby frequencyThe third line says:We have a second com(munication) radio with a standby frequencyNext two lines say:We have two nav(igation) radios, each with stanby frequencies but only the number one nav radio has a glide slope functionI think by now you can figure the rest.One little "gotcha": if you say that your radio has a standby frequency and it does not, you cannot manually change frequencies.Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch guys! It was simpler than I thought! Why do some aircraft files lack the "Radios" section? Is there a default?Airbus

Al Kaupa

Guest Scott Campbell

Air,This is the most ridiculous thing MS put in. It's telling FS what radios you have on your PANEL. It's not in the panel.cfg file, it's in the aircraft.cfg file.It's ridiculous because:A) What's it doing in the aircraft.cfg file when it depends on what's on the panel?and:( Why does it exist at all? The panel has gauges on it. If it has, say, a com 2, then you have a com 2. Why should I have to edit/include that info in EVERY stinking aircraft I use this panel with?For example: my panels DO NOT have stand-bys, so the #1 question everyone asks me is: Why can't I tune my radios? To which I have to send them an entire explanation of how to edit the AIRCRAFT.CFG files!then if I update my panels to use the default radios, I have to tell every single person how to edit every single aircraft.cfg file AGAIN.This is extremely poor design. Whoever thought of it needs to be fried (that's not a typo).

Guest John_Hirsch

Most, if not all, FS2K2 panels require the radio section entry in the aircraft.cfg file. Previous versions of MS Flight Simulator did not need nor require it. What you now seeing is a mixture of aircraft and panels for different versions of MSFS and you must see that the section is there if you fly the latest MSFS version. Also, check the radioes to see if they, in fact, have standby frequency capabilities and modify the radio section as needed.

Guest John_Hirsch

How right you are, Scott. This is another example of Micro$oft's brilliant programming. I still can't get over the fact that you must click the START button to turn your system OFF!Have a good day,