Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

Nvidia 40.41 - enable built in refresh rate tweaks...

Hey All,While it is impossible to figure out who came up with this first (credit is flying everywhere of course), someone did the sensible deed and opened up the new Nvidia Detonator Driver control panel in a resource viewer. Looks like there's more than a few hidden gems in there, a few for NForce users only.But, for everyone, theres an EXCELLENT new feature thats been needed from Nvidia forever: a built in Direct3D refresh rate fixer. While works great and should probably continue to be used by the majority, this may be a better solution for some since it comes directly from Nvidia:Edit: Whoops... I just moved this to the correct forum - Hanger Chat. I copied the wrong message to the right forum, or backwards, that is. If you can understand that... :-)Here's the link:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID6Take care,Elrond[link:www.boycott-riaa.com]http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font

Hi Elrond,I hear lots of good and bad about these new drivers (here at AVSIM), particularly that they aren't any faster. Any comments?Thanks- have a good one,Bruce.

Guest flightpro08

Well, they're great for benchmarking, but I experienced poor FSAA quality in FS2k2. I'm back on the 29.42's until nVidia releases the 'offical' 40.41's (which shouldn't be too long from what I hear.)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 40.41 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Are any of these drivers suited to Win 98? Sorry I'm new to these!Thanks

Refresh ForceI get a fatal error which reads it can't find a compatable monitor.Any suggesttion?Pent.4 2.0Win XPGeforce 2Paul

Guest gasebah

Hi Paul,just a guess. Try to install the proper monitor drivers instead of plug in or standard monitor. Do not know if that helps.Alex

Guest gasebah

Hi Elrond,any chance to enable the AGP Settings page. It does nothing for me. Are there plugins for different chipsets? I would really like to be able to play with the Aperture Size from windows. I know it can be done with WPCREdit but that is not very comfortable.You might also wanna have a look at my post about driver installation and shed some lioght onto this if you find the time.Thx a lot.Alex

Hi Bruce,Personally, I like these drivers. I haven't had any problems using them on any of my home systems - I haven't had the time to test them on a wider variety of systems yet. While they aren't much faster, they aren't slower either. The improvements in the Control Panel, the much improved nView 2.0 features, the ability to quickly change custom settings from the traybar (such as AA, Aniso, VSync, etc), the ability to tweak Aniso settings at all and its increased speed in a few games makes them keepers from me personally.The only bug I've run up against is the extremely poor Aniso when you set the slider to 0x... Its a bug in these drivers that completely disables bilinear filtering included. The fix is easy of course, move the slider up to 1x or higher (I prefer the highest 8x when using FS on a GF3 and above).Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Hi Alex,Unfortunately, the hardware page and AGP page seems to be for Nforce chipsets only. Too bad too, because both of them are extremely useful. Hopefully Nvidia will have them working on all chipsets when the 40's come out of beta.As for changing the aperture size from windows, here's a great chance to prove that I don't know everything :-) ... Beyond the BIOS, I'm not aware of any safe way to change the aperture from windows. While WPCR can indeed do it, it most assuredly is not a safe program for the vast majority of users. Even if the Nvidia AGP page was enabled for your chipset, you won't be able to change the aperture from there - its read only.Your recomendations on the driver install issue are good ones Alex. While uninstalling the drivers and installing fresh ones should do the trick for just about anyone, there may be times when older dll's are not replaced for a variety of reasons. In those cases, your method does a "clean" install - hense your improvement. Its kind of like using the Detonator Destroyers, but done manually (which is always better - I never trust automated tools like the Destroyer, unless I write them that is :-)).Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font

Thanks, Elrond- appreciate the advice.Say- when changing video drivers in XP, I assume it's not necessary to change first to standard VGA drivers (such as Win9x)? Do you have any recommendation for this procedure in XP?Thanks, it's good to hear from you- I hope your long weekend went well.Bruce.

Guest gasebah

Thx fr all the insights again Elrond. BTW, are you doing this for a living (I mean computers) ?Alex