Sign in to follow this  

Quick Question about upgrading performance

I will be upgrading my system soon and just wanted to know, maybe from someone who recently upgraded, what I could expect performance wise.Current system:PIII 1GHz w/ 512 PC133GeForce 2 MX400 64MBMaxtor 40GB 5400runs FS2002 alright....nothing great, but playable.New system:P4 2.53 w/ 512 PC2700 DDRGeForce 4 4600tiWD 40 GB 7200What do you think?Thanks for your time.

Well I've just bought a new system, P4 2.2, 512 PC2100 DDR, GeForce 4 4600ti, WD 120 Gb (7200), Soundblaster Audigy, and the system flies, if you'll pardon the pun. Even with all sliders at max and flying PIC 767 or DF 737 + add on scenery I rarely get below 20 fps. Very smooth indeed.

It'll be playable..:-) . But seriously, I think you have a real treat coming. Just put all the sliders to the right, turn off the framerate counter (you won't need it anymore), and enjoy a new kind of flying. Depending on the complexities of the add-ons you use the framerate may still get down to the 12-15 range occasionaly but I don't think you'll ever see less that 25 with the defaults. The biggest improvment, however, may well be the graphics. There will be a trememdous difference in the quality of the texture rendering. It's really nice being able use 8X anisotropic filtering, 4xS antialiasing, and a negative LOD bias without degrading the framerate too much. Yep, I think you'll like it.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57040.41's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 13089http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4330740

I think it's gonna go like.....gangbusters!Why?Because....I just ordered pretty much the same thing! (and it better be a barn burner!)JS

If you are running Windows 98, consider upgrading to Windows XP along with the hardware upgrade. I upgraded from 533Mhz/256MB PC133/GF2MX400 to 2.0Ghz/512MB PC2700/GF3Ti200 and the performance difference was amazing, but my system always seemed to be having teething problems. I moved to XP a few weeks ago and have definately noticed an improvement. Performance seems better by the slightest of margins, but smoothness and stability are way up. Rebooting seems almost a thing of the past now.

Thanks for all the good comments. I cant wait to get the new system up and running. I have XP and it has made a vast improvment on my older system...I'm sure it will be great on my new system too.I appreciate the comments :)