Sign in to follow this  

Any luck with Radeon 9700 Pro yet?

Anyone having success with FS2002 with this card yet?Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I've been following the ati forum closely. I've seen nothing on FS2002 or CFS2 and the Radeon Pro 9700 except for timber's difficulties. It seems those with fresh installs are loving the card and having no problems whatsoever while others are having all kinds of problems. So typical!! Those having problems are reporting that the main problem seems to be games locking up. Mine should be in the end of the week. I just wish the satisfied customers would use the forums to report their successes instead of having to read just the problem posts.

Thanks I'll keep looking too. In fact I'm heading for Rage3D now!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Well, sad to say it doesn't look pretty at Rage3D for Radeon 9700. As it has been in the past, it appears there are serious problems, hopefully with drivers. What's weird is when you read reviews on this card there isn't much mention of problems.If hx repeats itself, driver problems will be resolved, it's just a question of how fast. ATI has certainly said they will greatly improve driver support, but geez the Catalyst drivers have been out quite some time, so it is unnerving to realize people are having problems with many titles right away. There definitely were some positives so don't give up hope. Some were amazed with the FSAA 6x and AF 16x in some games, but again, there were references to problems with not only FS2002, but other titles as well. It will settle out, but just how long it takes is the question it appears.Good luck!Noel

Noel

Many positive reports but those are from guys with clean machines. Sounds like most are just upgrading video cards on older machines that have likely been tweaked to death. I suspect ATI will be as usual. You either love it or hate it. I went with the 9700 on my new rig just cause I wanted to run 4xfsaa and 16x AF and still have plenty of power left for decent frames cause nvidia's fsaa isn't worth a poop at any res but 16x12 as far as I'm concerned. I'm hoping that the 9700 will look like the V5 with a whole lot more horsepower. It certainly has nice color from the pics I've seen.There's only one report of problems with FS2k2 over there that I could find. That was Timber's lockup problems. Hopefully, he'll have that figured out soon. Must not be many flightsimmers at that site??

Hmmm sounds an awful lot like typical ATI driver bullsh-t. I will wait at least 3 or 4 months before I take that plunge. My GF4 should be here on tuesday!! Yippee.....I think :)Hornit

" Well, sad to say it doesn't look pretty at Rage3D for Radeon 9700. As it has been in the past, it appears there are serious problems, hopefully with drivers. What's weird is when you read reviews on this card there isn't much mention of problems."There will always be lots of problems posted in a forum like that. Think about this:-The people who do the reviews always have a clean system. Many problems are caused by users not correctly uninstalling the drivers for their old card before installing the new one. If you do everything correctly, things will be much smoother than if you try to install ATI drivers on top of your old Nvidia detonators...-Those who have the problems are the ones who post. You wouldn't go to a forum just to say "Hey all, I just thought you'd like to know that my new video card works great. That's all, bye." However, if you had some problem or issue with your videocard, you'd post for sure, to hopefully get some help with the problem.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

You are right. After closer inspection it appears those with fresh installs are doing pretty good overall. I certainly will be putting one into a fresh install. Hopefully it likes Win2K, which is what I'm upgrading to from Win98.I'm still waiting, painfully, slowly, for the right motherboard/CPU/ram combination, and it appears I may have to wait til early Oct to pull the trigger. SiS's new 658 chipset should be showing up in motherboards by then, and this is the only guy that supports AGP8x and RDRAM (PC1200 yeah!). AGP8x is probably a total non-issue, but I may wait anyway for this combo unless it's delayed too long. Reading about Radeon 9700 having less than super capabilities in FS2002 has given me some more patience to wait a little longer. It's sad though as I have a super nice case, power supply, RheoBus 2 fan controller, CDRW, floppy and DVD drive all loaded into their new case. Plus I have made some simple case mods to allow cool to cold air to be at the intake ports of the case. I'm also waiting for Seagate to release their new 15.3 X15s on the market, which should be by Oct also. So dang it, it's October by hook or by crook!You know I am currently able to run FS2002 at 1792 x 1344 x 32 with decent performance on my Radeon 64 DDR VIVO, so geez the 9700 should totally dominate. I hope you have good news for us with your clean install and your new 9700 Pro.Please keep us posted!Noel

Noel

quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Originally posted by mgdbottled 3dCube;I hope this is a typo in your above post:"timber,We haven't been running FS202 and CFS2. No problem found. Please try to check your setting. We recommend set the AGP aperture size less than 64MB."Otherwise it makes no sense. Are you saying you "have been running FS202 and CFS2 and found no problems"? Cause if they're both running great, with CFS3 and FS2k4 coming down the pike, you'll have a hugh new market!! My new alienware is coming the end of this week (hopefully) with the new 9700 Pro and she'll be outfitted with the above sims. Fingers crossed!!!! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------"""Correction: "We have been running FS2002 & CFS2." :-)""""""""This looks promising!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!