Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeM

Monitor for MSFS? LCD Flat Screen or CRT?

How many of you are using an LCD Flat Screen Monitor for MSFS and other sims or games? How acceptable is it? And is there a specific type or resolution that is considered the best in this technology? I use a Sony Trinitron 19" CRT fot FS, and love it. However, I'm seeing more and more of the LCD's for sale with new systems, and I'm ASSUMING they've improved. Years ago they didn't display enough colors, and were less realistic for simulation and other games (or so I was told...never tried it!}. So...I'm curious. I'd love to save the deskspace, and I think some of the new Flat Screen LCD's are great looking. I'd love your advice when putting together the next MSFS computer system. I'm due to upgrade perhaps by the end of this year. Stan

Guest Joshieca

You really should go out and take a look at the flat panels at a store. While the technology has improved over the last year, I still find that most flat panels don't do too well with fast moving objects (games/dvd movies). I say most, because some of the really expensive ones, like the Apple Mac Flat panels are actually quite good at it. The best thing to do is bring some DVD movies to your store and ask if you can look at them through a flat panel that you might be considering.[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day!

I purchased a 17" flatscreen for this very reason... I had the store manager sign off on a special return policy for me, because I knew that chances were that the monitor would end up returning to the store.......and I was right. The colors and contrast were SUPERIOR to anything I had seen, and the "3D" effect of the picture was remarkable. BUT, due to the nature of FS (and games in general), there was an awful lot of shimmering. You think the software generated shimmering is bad, wait until you combine that with an LCD panel. Buildings were flashing!Until they get the panel speeds up, they're strictly good for office-type work! Sorry!-Greg

I was remotely hoping that there'd be one out there that was really, really good with MSFS. When do you think the technology will be there for our favorite hobby? Stan

Stan:The thin flat panels don't work well for FS2002. Get a 21" TRINITRON instead and be even more thrilled, although you may strain your back like me adjusting 77lbs of monitor!JS

Guest JohnN

Hi Guys,I guess there's always one in every croud. My Sony 17 inch Multiscan went south (after eight years)and I replaced it with a View Sonic 17 inch LCD. I've had absolutely no problems with it. Things look great to me. I don't have a super fast video card so that may be a factor. We'll see what happens when I get my new machine with an ATI 9700 card in it.John

Guest rlefebvr

I concur. I waited forever to replace my 17 inch and did so a month and a half ago.I got a Nec 17 inch LCD 1700V and I have not looked back since. It's one of the best buys I have made in the last ten years and I buy a LOT of computer stuff.As far as FS is concerned, I have no more shimmering than I did before. Everything just looks ten times better and the eyestrain I used to get has disappeared.Words of warning:Yes, flat screen are made to work better at a certain resolution. Most work best at 1024 so ask before you buy.They do not work well unless they are set at their optimal resolution. This is a known fact and any salesman worth his salt will tell you so.2 and this is the most important.Flat screens get pixel burnouts. It will happen. Usually you get one or 2 and most of the time you only see them when you have very flat colors on your screen.They are usually white or red. For the most part, they are there when you buy the monitor and the situation is not supposed to get worse with time.It is important you have them plug the thing in before you leave the store with one, because this not considered a malfunction and they will not take it back. If you end up with 100 of these things, yes they will, but not because you have one or two or three.My advice, get one you you will not be disapointed, but make sure you see it in action before you buy.RonCVA1701Good luck

Guest Joshieca

>I was remotely hoping that there'd be one out there that was >really, really good with MSFS. When do you think the >technology will be there for our favorite hobby? > Stan They do....http://www.apple.com/displays/acd23/About...$3500 USD

Stan I've been looking at this dilemma too, and this is my conclusion: My Sony 19" GDM-F400 CRT for my main screen, then run a second monitor using a smaller LCD (13-15" tops) to run programs like FSFlightMax, FSNav, etc. This way you're keeping things that will look equisite, like guages, etc on the LCD, and keep the scenery and cockpit on the CRT, where you want large surface area. Kind of eases the pain of change! FS runs at 1792 x 1344 x 32 on my 19" and looks superb. Just a bit cluttered for my tastes. So I like the idea of a second screen. Either GF, or Radeon 9700 will support dual monitors, running a different resolutions. Can't wait to resize FSFLightMax to something big enough to read!I don't think I want to move to an LCD for the whole banana, until I can get one at least 19". An Apple Cinema Display would do, but is too pricey for my wallet.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Good discussion; however, I'd still love to see someday a modestly priced monitor that's thin, big, and "crystal clear!" Does the Apple Cinema Display only work with Apple systems? (pardon my ignorance, here)And how much is it selling for? Stan

Guest TerryT

Stan, I know a little about the Apple monitors only because I was considering going over to the Macs when I kept having freeze-up and reboot problems with my AMD/P4 systems. What I learned about the Apple monitors was "YES" you can run them on a PC computer, "BUT" you need an external power supply and signal generator. ($100-$150) If you look at a Mac in the stores, (CompUSA is a good place to look, touch and feel)you will see that there is only "One" wire/cable that plugs into the Apple monitor. Both power and video go up this line. Next, is the price. They always say you have to pay for quality and Apple definately makes you pay for it. If I remember correctly, the 17" monitor was priced at $999.99 and their 21 or 22" was aproximately $2600. Then they go to the large 34" (I think that is the size) and it is around $4500. Yes the Apple monitors look great and perform well but since their computers are only aproximately 5% of the market, their prices continue to be out the the normal users comfort zone. In others words, they are just too expenssive for what you are getting. Hope this helps.Terry

Stan the other thing is there as some awesome new TFT LCD technologies coming down the pike soon and if you buy a top end unit now you are definitely still be way inflated prices. I know how you feel about not minding coughing up $$ for high quality, however I read of some TFT LCD stuff (I think it was IBM that announced it, or Samsung) that is like 1200% finer resolution than anything else around. It would bother my soul to cough up $2800 for a Cinema Display (1600 x 1024 max) when something roughly 12x better was coming along. Plus, again, prices will come down big time. So careful buying high end LCD now. I do like the control over resolutions you have with CRTs you don't have with LCDs too. But I DO like what I see with LCDs, ie with brightness, contrast, true black, sharpness, etc.Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest Dominique

I found this excellent thread searching the archives for an answer to the same question. My job brings me to move from time to time (not to flee mind you ;-)) and I'm fed up with 40kg/80 pounds CRTs.The picture on my laptop is quite good (unfortunately I've a lot a stuttering due to, I guess,the Trident video card using main memory). The color saturation and sharpness are better than on my 19" CRT which gave up its ghost recently. And working/playing on a LCD is definitely less straining on my eyes.Black/dark areas however are not always rendered so well (glossy) and I wonder about jaggies for a larger screen, say like a 17" or 18". Common wisdom was, not long ago, that LCD screens weren't any good at anti-aliasing. The question is of course FS2K2 specific.Any return of experience'd be appreciated as going to the shop with FS2K2 under my arm and asking for installing a 1 GB + game just to try monitors might not be welcome.D

Guest kdfw

If you're thinking about using 3D glasses (LCD shutter type glasses), then CRT is probebly the way to go (need higher screen refresh rate).Pat

I went from a 19" monitor to this ViewSonic VG175 flat panel about a year or so ago - I think it's 17.5" viewable. I am completely happy with it both for FS2002 and also the FPS games I've tried. I've never seen any sort of speed issue with Quake III, etc., let alone FS.And, one of the best things is that it's not nearly as much of a space heater as my CRT was.Caveats:- as already mentioned, make sure the one you buy has all of its pixels working. I took a chance on this with Pixel USA in San Jose, which will not let you try it out before buying, but fortunately mine is 100% OK.- also as already mentioned, LCDs really only work at their maximum rez, at least for a completely sharp image. So I'm "stuck" at 1280x1024, which has never been a problem.- 3d shutter glasses will not workBTW I'm sure this model is discontinued, so YMMV with any other brand or example.Dave Blevins KRHV

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack