Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

multiple PC's

i need some help.i have two PC's that i want to use for FS. i want to know how do i connect them together.i want to use my current PC for FS and use the other for things like Roger Wilco, servinfo, etc..my other PC is pretty old. about 16MB RAM and 1.3ghz so i would only use it for RW and servinfo and looking at charts and stuff.i would like to know what i need to connect these two together. i dont remember if my cable modem can share its connection but how would i go about doing so. if not ill just save the charts and stuff on disk and use the other offline to check them. any help would be appreciated.also how could i use both monitors for FS?

Easiest way to connect 2 PCs is with 2 network cards and a crossover cable and then install FSUIPC and Widefs by Pete Dowson.If your cable modem is internal you would end up with 2 networks cards in that PC and one in the other, it is best to use the low power PC the one connected to the internet.Use UTP cable not BNC, more reliable.The PC running FS talks to the low power PC and thus connects with RW, SB and whatever else you want.Note that this arrangement does NOT give direct internet access to the PC running FS so you cannot run MP sessions for example, but you can fly with VATSIM or IVAO.IF you want the FS PC to have direct net access them more work is needed in the form of Internet Connection Sharing or some sort of router or proxy hardware/software on the internet PC.

yeah im going to have to make it share the connection because my primary pc is the one i use fs with. the other one cant handel FS2k2 (thats how old the thing is..lol. its only got like 2-3gb of memory, maybe less..lol)so thats the one i want RW to run on. that one is slower so i deffinitely dont want to run SB through it. RW will handel fine through it tho since its basically going to be running on its ownthanks for the info. ill look more into it. hopefully ill find a tutorial that some simmer has made

One of us is confused now about the spec of this 'old' PC.In your first msg you said it had 16MB RAM & 1.3gHz which is a strange combination: 16MB RAM with a 1.3GHz CPU??????I guess you mean 1.3GB hard drive?Your second msg says that memory is now 2-3gb, wish I had 2-3GB RAM.I think your terminology needs some refinement ;-)Memory is RAM and usually measured in MBHard drives are storage and usually measured in GB.At no point have you mentioned what speed the CPU is on this 'old' PC, if reasonable, and you can stuff some more RAM into it, say up to 32 or 64 MB RAM that will be enough to run SB & RW so you don't need to go to internet sharing unless you want to run MP sessions yourself.IF you are going to use ICS then there are a couple of links below that will help, also pm me for more detail; I have just done this myself with the help of great advice from Talon1.http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/sharingcable.htmhttp://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics.htmhttp://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...nfiguration.htmYou shouldn't need the latter, I got MP working without needing to configure any ports.Hope all that helps.