Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Swapping Air (.air) Files

It sounded so easy, just change the name...but......that obviously isn't enough, for when I did just change the name of the .air file the a/c wouldn't even show up on the roster list anymore! Must be more to it. I changed back to the original file and now it shows up on the roster gain. Un-flyable, but it's there!I want to keep both the ATR-300 and ATR-500 by Sanchez, but the plane won't even get off the ground. In Bear's review he suggested swapping out the air files from the Dash-8, but apparently I don't know what I'm doing. Could someone please lend a hand?Thanks again!MrMertz aka Jeff

Jeff:All you have to do to use a different airfile is first place the new file in the aircraft's folder, then, using the NOTEPAD program, open the relevant aircraft.cfg file and look for the following lines:[fltsim.0]title=Boeing 777-300sim=Boeing777-300model=panel=sound=texture=kb_checklists=Boeing777-300_checkkb_reference=Boeing777-300_refatc_id=562ZEdit the text after the "sim=" to read the name of the airfile, save, close the files and you're set to go!Alex CN562ZMinneapolis, MN

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hi,You say that the plane won't get off the gound. Did you try to adjust the elevator trim to takeoff configuration? FS2002 has a known bug that causes trim to go all the way down each time a plane is loaded. Some aircrafts can be flown in this configuration, but some others (particularly those with accurate flight dynamics) cannot.Mr Bearracing made at least two inaccuracies in his report for the ATR42-300. First, he tested version 1 when version 2 was already available with totally new flight dynamics. He recommends changing the flight model by a Dash8 model which is useless except as a toy, and completely destroys all turboprop parameters which have been very carefully chosen. Second inaccuracy, he stated in his report that I included a sound package with my aircraft. Well, I did not, I only include a new sound.cfg to be used with the default sounds. Only very recently in the 42-500 I included it (although the sounds were recorded in another A/C). The flight model of the ATR 42-500 has been tested by a real ATR pilot who advised some changes which were implemented. Still it is slightly oversensitive on the elevator and elevator trim, but I wouldn't call it unflyable. In particular, all engine parameters have been very accurately reproduced from the real plane, and match within +-1% the performance tables of the aircraft. On the contrary, MS was completely careless on the flight dynamics of the Dash8, which can be easily understood as it was developed for an AI plane only and not meant to be flown. But, if yuou insist to use the Dash8 air file... good luck.Paco

Right on Paco!! All they have to do is read the fine manual (RTFM)!Hope you had a great vacation!