Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

FS2K2 and Windows XP

How well does FS2K2 works with Windows XP. Is it better or worseor no difference?I'm considering an upgrade since Win 98 SE irritates me with all hangups and scandisc session and other strange behaviour.Does Windows XP offer any more advantages except better stability?

If you find Win98 intolerant, you better not go to WinXP. I am NOT saying WinXP isn't unstable. WinXP has built in more test switches, so to speak, that determine if something is working or not. You may find that annoying when it want to send a report to Microsoft.I recommend you determine why Win98 is hanging up and wanting to do scans. Have you installed the proper drivers for your controller chips, sound, and graphics adapter? Have you conducted a good maintenance routine on your computer, such as a complete drive scan with surface test, and a defragmentation? Who much space do you have on your harddrive, do you have sufficient space for the Windows Swap File? How about a complete virus check?Lastly, if it has been years since your computer harddrive was completely reformatted and restored, maybe its time to do a little housecleaning and start fresh.

>If you find Win98 intolerant, you better not go to WinXP. I Why not? Win XP is more stable than Win 98.>I recommend you determine why Win98 is hanging up and Because it is a flawed product.>wanting to do scans. Have you installed the proper drivers >for your controller chips, sound, and graphics adapter? Yes stillWin 98 can hang up because I surf on the net or try to printa page, and sometimes suddenly go into powersave mode that can onlybe left by resetting the computer. >Have you conducted a good maintenance routine on your >computer, such as a complete drive scan with surface test,Nothing of this makes Win 98 more stable. >and a defragmentation? Who much space do you have on your >harddrive, do you have sufficient space for the Windows Swap >File? How about a complete virus check? I have a 60 Gb drive most of the space is still free.>Lastly, if it has been years since your computer harddrive >was completely reformatted and restored, maybe its time to >do a little housecleaning and start fresh. My opinion is that a good OS should not require us to reformate theharddrive from time to time.

Guest gasebah

One thing is for sure. Your computer will not run any faster with it. At least that is my experience.But:Apart from any stability issues, the best improvement is memory handling. I sometimes run XP for days without rebooting without any noticable performance loss. You will not need any fastmem easymem defragmem or whatever the names of all these tools are anymore. If you close a program you can be almost 100% sure that you will have the memory back for system use.After u got used to the desktop functions it is a lot more comfortable to use than WIN98 too. The "intolerant stuff" can be easily deactivated.Alex

Guest emergency_pants

jfri,I've found 'XP to be a good purchase. I have the home edition and I find it very stable for work and play (and simmming!).I also found '98 stable too, for the majority of my tasks.There are XP drivers for all my peripherals (apart from Sidewinder FF pro 1!! grrrr!) and installation of new hardware is much less tiresome and flaky.I think, with a complete drive format, a brand spanking new install of windows XP and a brand spanking new install of Flight Sim, you'll find yourself with a relatively stable system. XP seems to be a solid version (seemingly a partly re-written Windows) and not just a rubbish upgrade like 98SE and WinME was, so I felt that it was worth paying for.Despite your reluctance to format and re-install (and I don't blame you!!!) If you're not sure about buying XP, a totally clean re-install of 98 should stabilize everything, as long as your not using silly drivers.

I don't know if my XP has ever crashed or if I have had to reboot...Regarding FS2002, the only thing which is a bit annoying is that the fonts inside FS (ATC window, SHIFT-Z: frames etc.) are blurry, I think that has to do with all the damn XP graphic effects. I've switched off everything but still the same.Anyways, I think XP is a quite good thing.

Like the majority of replies XP is rock solid. Cant tell you when last I had a crash or one of those BSOD things. FS2K2 runs very well also. Since I do not know your system let me suggest a few things:1) XP is not an upgrade or rewrite of Win98. It is an OS based on Windows NT made for consumer use.2) Perform the MS scan to determine if your system and programs will run under XP especially peripherals like printers etc. It should be available at the MS web site. Sorry I dont have the link off hand3) Get all the XP drivers you can before the installation. XP has some native drivers but manufacturers continue to release their own. If for example you have hardware that is not supported by XP its best you know this ahead of time. A lot of manufacturers for whatever reason (sales probably) did not and will not support XP.4) If all looks good, then I strongly recommend a clean, format your HD install. 99% of all the problems I read about in the MS NG's and forums are from users who did an install on top of there current system rather than a clean install.In closing user opinions and experience will vary. I am just one of those and so far I am a happy camper.good luckBill

I think you believe that WinXP is going to solve all your problems. Well, it might since you will probably reformat your hardrive and start fresh (IMHO, that is the only way to install an OS).I did however make an error in one of my sentences, "I am NOT saying WinXP isn't unstable.". It should have read, "I am NOT saying WinXP IS unstable." OR more correctly, WinXP is stable.I am running both OSs. I have several computers dual booted Win98SE/WinXP. The other three computers run Win98SE. I usually operate on the WinXP side of my computer.However, I haven't experienced an increase or decrease of restarts, hangups, or failures contributable to the OS. Win98SE has been as stable as WinXP.

>Since I do not know your system let me suggest a few things: >I have Athlon XP 1800+ with 256M 333MHz DDR Ram Asus V8170 DDR graphics card 16 Gb harddrive + 10 Gb harddrive. SB Audigo Playersoundcard, Solteck motherboard internal modem Lexmark 5700 parallellport jetinc printer and Epson 5700L USB laserprinter (by the way printing diplomas from FS2K2 doesn't work) >4) If all looks good, then I strongly recommend a clean, >format your HD install. 99% of all the problems I read about >in the MS NG's and forums are from users who did an install >on top of there current system rather than a clean install. >That what I intended to do and that means I need a OEM versionwhich require me to buy som hardware. So my 256M will be expanded to 512M

Best XP feature for FS people is Goback.Can save a reinstall.Peter Sydney Australia

"That what I intended to do and that means I need a OEM versionwhich require me to buy som hardware. So my 256M will be expanded to 512M"I'm unclear as to why you need to buy some hardware, as WinXP is available as a boxed software package. That's not to say that the extra RAM won't be beneficial !

I have no idea what else your system is made up of, but when I bought my new computer it came with xp-home. I haven't had 1 lock-up using MSFS. NOT 1! THAT is amazing, but true. Runs smooth as silk and should power me along for the next few years.Don

>I'm unclear as to why you need to buy some hardware, >as WinXP is available as a boxed software package. That's >not to say that the extra RAM won't be beneficial ! >The OEM version is only sold together with some hardware. I couldby another upgrade version which require me to make an upgrade insteadof a clean install. But I have been strongly advised not to do so butinstead go for a clean install.

You're quite right about the clean install, however, at least here in the UK, Windows XP Home is available as a product in its own right. This from dabs.comWindows XP Home Edition - Full Product Mfr code: N09-00051 Quicklinx: ZL4WS