Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE help me??

Ok, I know someone here knows the answer to this probably simple question. I want to host multiplayer flights, but I cannot because I guess I'm behind a firewall. Now, let me say this. When I was on dial-up, I had no probs, but now that I have dsl, no one can connect to my game. The thing of it is, is that I have never installed a firewall program. Could the program be built into the program for my dsl?, or is it just simply certain ports that are not open that should be? Since I have never installed a firewall, My uneducated guess is that the ports that need to be open are closed. So, here's my question......What ports need to be open and how do I open them? I am running win 98. I am looking for a quick reply so that I can host some multiplayer flights, because there is nothing more fun for me than flying w/ others.Thanks a bunch, Matt*Edit* I did a search, but did not turn up anything.

Go to www.microsoft.com and search on this: Q240429 - DirectX Ports Required to Play on a Network.htm

If your DSL is like mine, you most likely have NAT (Network Address Translation). This takes your own PC IP and translates it to something that the DSL server can recognize. It also acts as a firewall, as it is not "reverse NAT". With normal NAT, it will only work in the forward mode (as long as you are initiating the TCP transmission). A reverse connection (one that someone else starts) will be rejected by the DSL. All this said, it is possible to re-program the DSL router, but you either need to be a Cisco engineer, or maybe your ISP supports this and will walk you through it? However, be aware that they may think you are setting up an internet server, and that costs big bucks to the ISP if you want that level of service.Bruce.