Sign in to follow this  
ckukmale

GF2 VIDEO CARD ISSUES/NEw Nvidia Update

I just downloaded the new Nvidia Dentonator driver for my GEForce 2 MX400 card and I am noticing alot of problems with various aspects of my scenery and aircraft. I am looking for an expert that can tell me exactly what settings should be used to maximize performance and also what to avoid. I admit I am no guru when it comes to card settings and open GL parameters.I am running a P4 1.9 with 512 memory SDRAM on Win XP Home. The biggest effect I see as of now is my wings turn purplish and I must turn off the reflections and reset it to make it disappear. I also notice that some buildings that I am using in Lago's FSSE are turing red and I need to reset mipmapping to make it disappear.Currently I have most sliders maxed and I am using Filtering - trilinear,Rendering are all checked,Res is 1024X768X32,Frame Rate is 24.I have shawdows disabled under the Aircraft Tab.Here is what I have Selected in my Nvidia setup.Antialiasing = Allow apps to control the antialiasing mode CheckedDirect 3D = Enable Fog table emulation checked Texture anisotropicsetting=0 MipMap Detai Level = Best Image Quality PCI texture Memory Sixe =100 Meg Texel Alignmet =3Open GL = Use Fast Linear Mipmapping is Checked Enable Conformant Open GL Texture Clamp is Checked Buffer Flipping mode = Auto-Select Vertical Sync on by default anisotropic filtering is EnabledUse of upto 5 meg of system memory for textures in PCI modeOverlay Controls = Zoom Contol I have Video overlay selectedFull Screen device = DisabledAny and all help would be greatly appreciatedAndy

Guest gasebah

Hi Andy,first of all FS2002 is strictly DirectX to my knowledge. So whatever OpenGL Settings you will apply they will change nothing in the appearance of FS2002. You should set Anisotropic filtering to 2 at least, otherwise you will get a terrible picture quality.As for your problems I am quite sure that they are triggered by mixed up drivers although I do not know about the GF2 and typical problems that may occur with that card.I suggest the following procedure for a clean driver install:Uninstall the Nvidia drivers in your system /software page. Do not reboot yet. Go to your Windows/Inf folder, and find the files nv3.inf and nv4.inf. Rename them nv3.i_f and nv4.i_f. Extract the driver to a known location, e.g.: C:/Nvidia. The 40s will do that by default. Do not install the driver yet!!Restart your computer. When the wizard comes up, lead it to the new drivers folder. Return the nv4.i_f and nv3.i_f to their original names incase of a problem windows will still install the default XP drivers.Hope that helps. Alex

Alex Thank You for your time and I will addrees your fixes this evening. Should I disable all my open GL switches since I only use FS2K2 ???? I am also running DirectX 8.1 .....Thanks

Hello,I am using a GF3 video card with the new 40.41, and don't seem to be having the problems others are having, but one thing that does crop up is the sound. Between 15000 & 20000 ft. it sound like ATC, FDC are talking in a can and speaking real slow. You can hardly understand them. After 20M all works AOK. Strange Huh!Luckly to know how to turn the computer on jim

Guest gasebah

As I said as long as you will not run a OpenGL application the switches do nothing. I would not worry about them at all for the time being.Let me know if my suggestion did help you.Alex

Guest gasebah

I have encountered that problem on one of my flights only so far. I have no idea where it comes from. But there was a heavy thunderstorm in the area, so I did just pretend it was radio interference :-).Alex

Guest Milio_B

Just a question:Does the PCI texture size do something? If it does, then how should I set it? is 64 ok for 156 RAM???? AAAAAAH!!!!!!! I don't undertand its use!!!!Hehehe sorry :(

If you have an AGP card, (most likely if you have a GeForce2 or better), don't worry about the PCI texture size. If you do have a PCI card an old Vanta or something like that then leave the PCI texture size to the default limit. Again if you have an AGP card the PCI texture size is not relevant, I set mine to 2 Megs the lowest and don't worry about it one way or the other. Also don't worry about OpenGL settings for MSFS2002 or any other Microsoft program for that matter. Microsoft is to my knowledge only using their Direct X system in any of their games. I can't imagine Microsoft using someone else's technology in their products and leaving out their own brand of insanity :DEdit one typo :)

I would like to thank all for their responses to this post. I took Alex's advice and I think I found my issue. I had 2 files nv3.PNF and nv4.PNF and I removed both and I reinstalled the new 40 driver for XP and only nv4.PNF showed up and all is working great.I believe I had both drivers being utilized at the same time.I have no more stutters or any issues with mipmapping or reflections. Again I would like to thank Alex and all who corresponded within this post. Thanks AgainAndy

Hi FolksOne thing I noticed on my PC after installing those new drivers was that the landing lights on AI planes and my plane looked awful. They didnt blend in with the ground like they did on my other drivers and they looked like just white triangles had been overlaid ontop. I deinstalled them and went back to the 23.12s which i think are the best ones for me. I also seemed to have that problem with the lights with other drivers at times too but just turned the lights on and off to make it go away. I think that each PC is fussy and some like some drivers more than others.Craig Kiltie