Sign in to follow this  

Advice before installing Leadtek GF4 TI4200 for FS2002

Hi All,For quite a while I have been reading posts about installing graphic cards and tweaking them. Now I lost track a little and would like to have an overview of what to do.Tomorrow I expect a Leadtek GeForce 4 TI4200 128mb to be delivered. Currently I have a TNT2 64. I would like to have some advice after deinstalling the software for the current videocard and installing the card itself.What would be best software to update the software delivered with the card? Normally I visit nvidea.com for drivers. But what else should I need?Currently I own a PIII 800 (windows XP). I am slowly changing and upgrading my computer. For a P4 or AMD I need another case / house and all further needed hardware. I am aware that CPU matters more for FS2002 than the videocard, but I wanted a better imagequality. And of course the price was nice.Thanks in advance for your information!Regards, Ferry

First; you need to read this new article from nvidia. Then just drop in the CD drivers to start with. If you're still not happy, read the article a second time. Read it over at 3dRage. http://www20.brinkster.com/outsidr/aug31.html The link only works sometime so here's the pasted article:Nvidia Speaks Out on NV30 Delay: Helper Monkeys To Blame Saturday, August 31, 2002SANTA CLARA, Calif., Aug 30 (Heuters) -Computer graphics leader Nvidia Corp.(NVDA) has just released a statement to the press on why their next generation graphics chip, code named NV30 has been delayed. The NV30, Nvidia's next flagship graphics chip and the successor the the immensly popular Geforce 4 line of chips had been expected to be released around August, coinciding with Nvidia's 6 month development cycle. Now Nvidia officials tell us that the NV30 will launch this holiday season. ATI, Nvidia's largest competitor has officially launched it's highly touted Radeon 9700 Pro and it's mainstream Radeon 9000 Pro boards, which puts ATI ahead of Nvidia in technology as of now. Nvidia Corp. retaliated by launching the latest Detonator drivers for their graphics chipsets, boasting a 25% increase in performance. An Nvidia rep, Jack Hoff, shed some light on the NV30 delay in a statement on Friday. "I assure everyone that the NV30 will be ready by this holiday season in limted numbers. We have taped-out the chip and it is ready for debugging. We will meet schedule." When asked about why the NV30 was delayed in the first place, Jack was reluctant to answer, but finally commented that it was due to ATI's Radeon 9700. "When ATI launched the Radeon 9700, half of our development teams shitted their pants. The other half ###### their pants. They have been in a state of disbelief for the past month, but we are finally making progress. Ironically during this time, the only engeneering sample on the NV30 card was stolen by one of our helper monkeys, who, after hearing about the 9700, jumped ships to ATI, mumbling something about the quality of our bananas. I assure you, our bananas are of the finest quality. Uh, so are our chips. So these past few days we have been playing catch up and taped out another. We should be fine." Jack also commented on the quantity of the cards that they will be shipping. "As I have already stated, we will ship the card in limited quantities. We think we will meet our production estemates of three cards by the end of the year. If the weather is good." After the statement, NVidia stock(NVDA) plummeted to an all time low, where people would refuse to take them for free. Rumor has it that Nvidia will stop selling graphics chips and focus all it's resources in selling high end potato chips. Source: Heuters

>First; you need to read this new article from nvidia. Then >just drop in the CD drivers to start with. If you're still >not happy, read the article a second time. >> http://www20.brinkster.com/outsidr/aug31.html Hi,Are you sure about the hyperlink? It did not work with me. Even www.brinkster.com/outsidr/aug31.html gave no results.Regards, Ferry

In case "Timber" reads this, you got a response over at 3drage from an ATI Tech guy: It reads as follows:"UPDATE: Just copied this from the Ati tech guy's post:(I hope that's a typo "haven't" ; otherwise it makes no sense.timber,We haven't been running FS202 and CFS2. No problem found. Please try to check your setting. We recommend set the AGP aperture size less than 64MB.Scratching my head looking for the coffee cup????????

>>First; you need to read this new article from nvidia. Then >>just drop in the CD drivers to start with. If you're still >>not happy, read the article a second time. >>>> http://www20.brinkster.com/outsidr/aug31.html >Hi, >>Are you sure about the hyperlink? It did not work with me. >Even www.brinkster.com/outsidr/aug31.html gave no results. >>Regards, Ferry lol,Seconds after posting previous post, I saw the article you pasted in your mail. Funny writing, but I think the ATI card will be 'unpayable' for a while. I only use the card for FS2002 purposes and flash design. No other games are played on my PC. Ok, Backgammon I play a lot also.Just one question left:Usually I only download nvidia drivers (currently 30.82, windows XP). Should I download nvidia driver 30.82 first and detenator 40 afterwards? Or should I download detenator 40 only or nvidia 30.82 afterwards?Thanks in advance for your help. And for the nvidia, I take the risk...Regards, FerryOn advice from post below I edited this one:System specs:P3 800mhz (do not know make or type)768Mb Ram60gb harddisk (IBM)Windows XP Pro (dutch)Soundblaster AudigyInstalled FS2002 pro

You should probably post all of your system specs ie: motherboard, sound card, ram, etc. Someone will have a recommendation for you! Usually the newest drivers are the best, but that's not alway the case with FS2002.