Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

white blocks in place of waves

I do not want to disparage an otherwise excellent freeware, and cannot say there is a connection, but my trouble with square waves began after I installed the Grumman Duck and the special effects files with it. I also noticed that I was not getting proper smoke effects on the duck (just a grey straight line smudge (blocky in a way)), and lost all smoke effects on my other aircraft. That's about the time I began to notice my problems. Is there a cause and effect, here? And, for that matter, are waves controlled as texture or as effect? Sherman KaplanHighland Park IL

ShermankThey are effects files and they sometimes become corrupted by downloads that carry new effects files. When it happened to me I tried downloading the new wave controller from Disk 1 but it didn't work. However I did find the cure to my problem so maybe it will work for you. Open up disk#1 and unzip the FS2002 cab file. Scroll down to the middle of the list and you will find all of the fx (effects) files.Copy all of them including the wave controller to your effects file overwriting what is presently there. Reboot the sim and all of your effects should return to normal (default). If you had previously downloaded any other effects files(smoke,wakes, etc.) you will have to reload them. Hope this helps! :-lol

thanks, jim...i thought the fx files were on the fs2k2 disks...but could not find them. I should have dug deeper...Sherm

I have the same problem and tried the suggestion but it didn't help.I asked for help on the same topic a while back and someone else had the same problem and said he had to reformat his hd and start over.I hope that is not true.Any help is appreciated.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

try this..move all of your effects files into a standby folder...so that you have a clean effects folder. Then, go to your fs2k2 disk one...check the 2002 cab file. to make sure you get all the fx files, go into view on your explorer browser and list files by type. Then all the effects files will be easy to spot. copy them to fs2002effects and you will have a fresh start. boot up fs2002 and if you are as lucky as was i, the waves will be rolling in...btw, to get back some disk space, you can then delete the fx files you placed into your standby folder.Sherm

Thanks for the info.I went back last night and copied all the fx files not just the water ones which I did at first.All seems to be OK now.

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.