Sign in to follow this  

FS Maintenance....aid to realism or not..?....

Guest bruno

Hi All, I am the owner of 3 lago products, the last one I purchased being Fs maintenance. I am more than pleased with the first two, but I'm not so sure about FSM. My reason for this is I have to question the frequency of failures that have occured and whether they would occur as much in "real time" I've been flying the Commander 115tc for about 23 hours in that time I have done all maintenance checks, and had two complete electrical failures. The first time I managed to land o.k. The second time, not so lucky, as I was over water, the second time was one hour after the B maintenance check. Now I would have to question whether using FSM is really adding to the realism of the flightsim or is it just making it more a game, wondering to myself what is going to fail and when? regardless of maintenance. Another point being that the commander 115TC is one of the most reliable light planes going.

Hi BrunoWith the maintenance checks, I haven't had a single failure yet (with the exception of a couple of total write-offs due to mountains in the clouds, etc.) I think I've set the expert mode or whatever it is.Now the lightest plane I fly with FSMaintenance is the C421, so maybe a little guy like the Commander needs more relaxed parameters. I generally find that it's more difficult to pull off "greaser" landings 100% of the time in the little planes. I wonder if you could get Lago's help to modify the config file to better suit your flying style and aircraft choice. Come to think of it, that could be a neat addon to develop.I do enjoy FSMaintenance quite a bit, though. I use it a lot with the ERJ and the 421, and can usually fly those with zero deductions and no failures. Oh, and yeah, the Commander rocks.All the best,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/sig1.jpg

Mmmm... you have been unlucky indeed as this is way above the norm. But as with almost everything in FSMaintenance it is something that you can edit. Check the Failures.cfg file and change the 'DegradPerHour' value.Remind me not to fly with you btw...Mathijs KokLAGO

i actually like it. one flight from dublin into stansted i hit a massive headwind gust over the irish sea which caused the plane to nose-dive. i wasnt looking and the auto pilot had to get her back on course. the dive severly damaged one engine and the elevators. on the approach to stansted both the left engine and the elevators gave up. it was a fun landing i tells ya. without it the plane would have had nothing wrong with it on the landing and simply it wouldnt have been as much fun. agreed though that lago should make it easier to edit the config to change the degrade rates and allow a little more leeway for unorthadox flying maneuvers.twas the default b737 i was flying.

Here's a semi-related question.How the heck to you get planes to start with FS Maintenance running? I can run it fine with the heavies, but when I jump into the 421 or the commander 115, the engines will not start no matter what?

yeah, but the thing is I had never flown them with FS Maitenance??? Oh well, that's the least of my concerns now. I can't even fly due to the fact I crashed my whole system ;-)

Yipes, good luck with that, Fred. I hate it when that happens. It's always right when you get everything set up perfect too.On the starting engines topic, I guess I'd check the Aircraft Maintenance pages to make sure there are no outstanding issues there, and, failing an obvious problem there, I'd go through my procedures and fuel loadout to make sure that's not the problem. I'm sure you've started them many times before though. . . Sorry I can't be more help.Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/sig1.jpg

>How the heck to you get planes to start with FS Maintenance >running? I can run it fine with the heavies, but when I jump >into the 421 or the commander 115, the engines will not >start no matter what? I do not believe this is an effect of FSMaintenance as we do not write anything to FS2002 at that moment. We only read from FS2002 most of the time, only when a problem is invoked do we write to FS2002 but that can not happen before the engines are started.Mathijs KokLAGO

That's strange...Here's what happens. This is an exact example of what happened to me on many occassions.I'm in the plane and shut the engine down and set the parking break to start logging.Start logging, then try to start the engine to no avail?Turn FS Maintenance off, crank the engine and walla... It's running???;-)