Sign in to follow this  

new Dash 8 - numbers please?

Are there any more experienced Fsimmers than me out there who is successfully and consistently landing the new Dash 8.Could you kindly offer any advice as to the "numbers" you are flying to - particularly in relation to initial approach and final approach. The numbers I am looking for are airspeed, torque settings , flaps settings, etc.Thanks Barry

I would dispute the full flaps bit. They are really only needed for very short field or steep approaches IMO. First, I suggest ensuring that you're not landing on full tanks, then use only flap 15. Start at 140 knots in level flight and reduce to 120 knots on the glide still at flap 15. I find that this needs a torque setting of about 35% (note if you MUST use full flap, the torque needs to be about 63-65%, but don't blame me if you manage to mash the nose gear). Reduce speed to around 100-105 crossing the threshold and maintain about 6% positive pitch until touchdown. If you try this with full flaps, the approach attitude is so nose-down that the amount of transition to positive pitch you need in the flare results in a massive loss of airspeed and a crunching touchdown on the nose gear followed by a 50' bounce! Because of the nose-down approach, even with flap 15, you don't need to reduce the power much crossing the threshold because you'll lose speed as you pull the nose up.I started using full flaps and found myself landing nose-gear first everytime. I emailed Oleksiy and he enclosed a comment from one of his beta testers who is a Dash pilot and that's what this is based on.Take care,Andy EGTR

>I would dispute the full flaps bit. They are really only >needed for very short field or steep approaches IMO. Yeah -- I have been trying to land full flaps and have been getting into trouble!!! :) Will try only 15 next time.>First, I suggest ensuring that you're not landing on full >tanks, I have read people saying that you shouldn't land with full tanks (on other jet aircraft). I can't believe that jets aren't designed to be landed with full tanks - what would happen if a takeoff had to be aborted or if an aircraft had to land for some reason immediatly after takeoff?.>I started using full flaps and found myself landing >nose-gear first everytime. I emailed Oleksiy and he enclosed >a comment from one of his beta testers who is a Dash pilot >and that's what this is based on. It would be really nice if we could get some "numbers" from the designerBarry

>I have read people saying that you shouldn't land with full >tanks (on other jet aircraft). I can't believe that jets >aren't designed to be landed with full tanks - what would >happen if a takeoff had to be aborted or if an aircraft had >to land for some reason immediatly after takeoff?. They dump fuel. Max landing weight is a serious constraint as it represents the structural limitation of the gear and the supporting airframe to support the weight of the aircraft multiplied by the extra g loading generated by contact with the runway during the descent.>>I started using full flaps and found myself landing >>nose-gear first everytime. I emailed Oleksiy and he enclosed >>a comment from one of his beta testers who is a Dash pilot >>and that's what this is based on. >>It would be really nice if we could get some "numbers" from >the designer FWIW, here's the text of the message Oleksiy enclosed - you may find it useful...."Hi AndyI've asked Thomas, who is the Dash-8 captain about your case . Here is his answer :-------------------------I never experienced that during my landings. In gereral the Dash 8 has no groundspoilers when you have Mainwheel contact. So the real Dash 8 also bounces when your Landing technic is not correct. When you have the first contact with the runway on bad looking landings we will immediately bring the powerlevers back to disc to avoid that. But normally it is not really necessary. I have flown so many hours on your Dash and performed so many landings, but it has never bounced more than twice. So I would say, it is a pilots factor. It happens, when they have too much speed on approach with nosewheel contact first. Or if the plane goes down and you pull too late and too much. But continious is caused mostly by the nosewheel contacting the runway first because of incorrect app speed. So, the powerlevers have to be at flightidle and the speed not higher than 120 for Flaps 15 and not higher than 110 on F35 Landings. That should help a lot. The pitch is an important factor. Ithas to be positive, but not more than 6.8

>I have read people saying that you shouldn't land with full tanks . >(on other jet aircraft). I can't believe that jets aren't designed >to be landed with full tanks - what would happen if a takeoff had >to be aborted or if an aircraft had to land for some reason >immediatly after takeoff?.They can. A British Airways 744 did a few weeks ago at YSSY. Sometimes the emergency is great enough were there is no time for a fuel dump. I imagine the airplane would have to be inspected after such a heavy landing but it can be done when the need arises.

Eric 

NO NO NO!You are doing it all wrong. Never mind these Dash 8's - what about the DeHavilland Twin Otter DHC6? They land and take off all the time here in Plymouth U.K. and are much more fun. Seriously though - sorry about the humour but as the Otter is close to the Dash (which also uses this airport) I am trying to get hold of this aircraft for my sim which is a full size flight deck with no aircraft yet configured (if you see what I mean?)These Brits are weird ar'nt they?TONY.