Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Play FS2002 in Greece and you can go to jail!!!

>hello. >>Come to think, how are the Greek authority going to monitor >if people are playing at their homes ? Will they make raids >and search your computer for games ? This law has to be one >of the most stupid ever. If there is a petition against this >law I would like to sign it even I am not Greek but a >citizen of EU. >>This is just weird... >>Jani Jani (...and all the others)www.netcafe.grChoose english from the secondary window and sign up...Thanos AnogiatisOAL678

If you think this is wierd, what about the spotters on an organised visit to Greece and were arrested, put on trial and convicted as spys ? Correct me if I'm wrong, were they at an airshow ? I think somebody has overdone it on the old Ouzo....or perhaps he couldnt finish Quake. (I bet !) :-lolGeorge

Well, it's forbidden to play games, but what about simulators? After all, FS2002 is a flight-simulator.

[a href=http://www.xs4all.nl/~alex4all" target="_blank]Click here for 360

Guest Toni Rauch

......So if I go to Greece with a friend and bet him that I can land an Olympic Airways Airbus using Flight Simulator with severe crosswinds and one engine out taking a screenshot as proof, and I get caught, that means:1. I get arrested for playing a computer game...2. I get arrested for illegal gambling...3. I get arrested for taking pictures at the airport...4. I get arrested as a possible spy...I think the politicians who came up with this nonsense must be 'a doner short of a kebab' !!!! :-lol :-lol :-lol Toni.

Guest Stamatis

Hello Umberto, long time no see !! :-)"Have you had the chance to read the actual law in Greek ?"Yes, I have."because, reading the English translation, it appears that the *only* games banned are those involving gambling and winning money, and the "normal" games are explicitly excluded from the banning, with "normal" games defined as ( according to the English translation )"Unfortunately that is not the case.""1. It is prohibited the operation of games of type "b", " c" and "d" of Article 1""Type d is our problem. Here is my own translation of its definition: d. Electronically run games are those for the operation of which, the supporting electrical, electronic and other devices not withstanding, the existence and execution of software code is required.It then goes to say that :"The operation of games of type b, c and d of Article 1, including computers, is prohibited in public general places like hotels, coffee-shops, rooms of recognized Clubs of any nature, and in any other public or private place."Can it be any clearer than that?StamatisPS. Maybe FS2002 qualifies as a training device and not a game :-)

Stamatis,>Type d is our problem. Here is my own translation of its >definition: Don't you think that a computer game could belong also to type E, because this category seems to generically hold all kind of games "whose result depends exclusively on the ability and skill of the player, and its use is solely for entertainment" ?In this case, the law is surely bad written and confusing, because a normal computer game could fall in *both* D and E categories, then it's *both* allowed and forbidden at the same time ?regards,

Guest Stephan

Hi virtuali,actually it's quite clear: a computer game is an electronic game:'d. Electronic games are those, that depend on both electrical-electronic mechanisms and software.' which to me is a computer and the program.so it's verboten!Question: can I still fly to Greece in FS2002?grStephan

Guest Stamatis

Umberto,You certainly have a point, and I noticed it too when I first read the Law. Computer games can be argued to qualify for both categories, d and e.However, if you read again the translation of the paragraph explaining what is forbidden, "The operation of games of type b, c and d of Article 1, including computers, is prohibited in public general places like hotels, coffee-shops, rooms of recognized Clubs of any nature, and in any other public or private place."I put the part of the print in bold on purpose. The inclusion of this phrase makes it quite difficult to argue in our favour :-)Stamatis

Guest Stamatis

Umberto,There is even more to indicate that "our" type of games are included in the ban:

Article 2Enterprises offering Internet servicesThe installation and operation of electronic computers is not included in the ban as specified in Article 2. However, the running of games with these computers is forbidden, regardless of their method of operation.
Doesn't look good, does it?Stamatis

Oh well, it was worth a try :-). And then, some will say FS is a game, and in no way a simulator... ;-)

[a href=http://www.xs4all.nl/~alex4all" target="_blank]Click here for 360

Guest Clement Guivarc h

Is there an entertainment system with video games on Olympic Airways aircrafts ? lolIt's horrible !It's very hard to believe...hey, it's 2002 !../)_/). _ Cl

that's a whole bunch of bullsh*t and besides what can the citizens of Greece do for their free time and Greece's economy will go down big time for sure because of that. It's just seems like they're taking out all the fun of modern technology. " " !^^^

Guest Scott Campbell

Stamatis,Don't you think they could have fixed all this with the addition of the word "of chance", as in "games of chance", or "for the sole purpose of winning monetary gain"?But right now, guess you all are in violation. Get the cuffs. ;-)(suggestion to all governing bodies - have a 5-year-old write the laws so they are understandable and actually make sense!)