Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobA

New 727 panel & yaw control

I'm using the 727 for FS2K2 that Charles Fox made, cf722aa.zip. I replaced the panel with Richard Probst's new release. One thing I'm noticing is that when I'm landing in a crosswind, when I flare, I'm not getting much, if any, response from rudder input when attempting to line up the aircraft with the direction of travel.I've gone back & forth between these panels & am able to "line up" the aircraft with Charles Fox's panel, so it's not a rudder pedal issue.It's as if the yaw damper is "on" & not responding to rudder commands. Fox's panel has an on/off switch for yaw dampers, yet Probst's panel does not. I don't know how this works, but if a panel doesn't have a yaw damper control, by default would the yaw dampers be "on"?Or is it that the yaw control is too pronounced with the original cf722aa.zip? Anyone else encountering this and/or could shed some light? Thanks!Mike A.

Guest Twister

Hi,Interesting issue, I also noticed a lack of rudder authority, as if the yaw damper was constantly engaged.Hopefully, Mr. Probst will provide us with some information on this topic.Twister

Very good question. Is their a way to turn off the yaw dampers. I noticed on the ground the rudder no longer moves and I have no rudder control in the air...

Guest Martin

Increasing the "rudder_effectiveness" in the aircraft.cfg will probably solve the problem.I haven't tried it with the 727 panel, but with the 767 PIC panel (and FDE) I have the rudder effectiveness set to around 20, which gives me good rudder control with yaw dampers on (but with YD turned off the rudder is of course way too powerful).Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Hi Jozef,Thanks for pointing it out. I didn't realize that the MISCELLANEOUS section was the only one I neglected to print out; no wonder I couldn't find it :-lolMike A.

Guest Twister

Is there a key to disengage the yaw damper (like shift-y or something like it) ?twister

Hey twister, I believe the keyboard shortcut for the Yaw Dampers is Ctrl + D. Hope this helps!

Guest Twister

Hi Captain Scott,I'll try that key in a few hours, I'll keep you posted.Thanks for the hint.Twister

The way the yaw dampers work is that they are supposed to detect oscillations about the yaw axis, which can be observed in flight as a fish-tailing effect commonly called Dutch Roll. When the yaw damper system detects this in flight, it sends a signal to bump the rudder a little bit in the opposite direction. Total rudder input from the yaw dampers should not exceed 5 degrees - this does not mean that your rudder is limited only to 5 degrees with yaw dampers on.The yaw dampers in FS do not work this way, but actually limit rudder movement. This is not correct. Charles Fox has designed the current air file set (available here at Avsim) to work within this limitation, but this set is currently available only for the Mike Stone models. Charles is currently working on a set for older FSDS (FS2000) models, such as the one you have Mike. They should be out in a week or two.In the 727, the yaw dampers are always powered on - electrically that is. You would never have a reason to turn the switches off except if the yaw dampers malfunctioned. The actual switches would be located on a portion of the overhead panel that I did not add. Call it fatigue or laziness, maybe a little of both, I just did not get this far on the panel.The way this works in the panel I uploaded is that the gauge detects if electrical power is available, and if it is, then it turns the yaw dampers on. So no, you cannot turn them off even with keyboard shortcuts. The reason why I did this was for realism - you should be able to fly and taxi without ever touching the switches. With the Stone models as well as the default MS planes, if the yaw dampers are on, you will not see the nosewheel or rudders move much. This is only an aethestic concern with the visual model and I don't know why this happens. This does not happen in the older FSDS (Trinkle) models. Even though you don't see much rudder or nosewheel movement on these newer Gmax models, you should still have full nosewheel steering and rudder authority. The rudder is just slowed down a little. I have never had problems taxiing or flying with either Mike's or Charle's air files. A few people have told me that they are having difficulty taxiing when using the panel. It was tested with both Mike's and Charles air files without problem. I'm still not sure why a few of you are having difficulty. The 727 should be able to turn completely around in 360 degrees on a standard 150 foot wide runway without any of the wheels going over. Use the auto taxi speed control (T) and tap the brakes to keep your speed down. If your airplane isn't doing this, you might try fiddling with your control sensitivities until it can. For those using the older cf722aa plane, you might try hitting shift-m to turn off electrical power when rounding corners. This will force the yaw dampers off.I'd like to thank everyone for their overwhelming support and patience in working out these snags. With any project like this, there's bound to be a few problems here and there. We'll get them all ironed out eventually.Rich Probst

Guest PhilipManwaring

"I'd like to thank everyone for their overwhelming support and patience in working out these snags. "You sir, are remarkable. The panel is a work of art, whatever angle my nosewheel turns to! I'm rediscovering the fun of manual flight and navigation, and I couldn't imagine a better "office" to do it from.Thanks,Philip.

Rich, first off, thank you for just an outstanding panel. I can't even think of words to describe this panel. It's truly an art piece and behalf of all Flight simmers, I thank you for this great add-on.Second, thank you for the description on yaw dampers. I don't have problem with taxing, just want to have the ability to do a side slip while landing in a cross wind. I guess people have several options, if they want rudder effectiveness while doing a side slip on final. One can increase the rudder effectiveness as mentioned above, or one can remove the Yaw damper gauge. Either way, I now feel like a 727 pilot, thanks to your hard work.Thank you.....

Guest Martin

When on the ground pressing Ctrl+D (or whatever your assignment for the yaw damper is) will actually disengage the yaw damper. At least that's what I've seen (i.e. when pressing Ctrl+D the nosewheel and rudder will move fully).I also had some problems starting the engines - usually one engine worked and two wouldn't. Made me land on only two engines, but after landing I was able to restart the third. :-)And the big question... why does the altimeter have a vibrator anyway?Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Guest Scott Campbell

Richard,I am using your panel with my air file and have no problems with the yaw dampers. Everything is working great (with one minor issue I'll figure out).I absolutely love your panel, right down to the altimeter vibrator. Reminds me of when I learned to fly that bird years ago. I just thank goodness you didn't include the rattly old cockpit fan!Keep up the great work and thanks!

Guest ABpilot

Hi, MR. Richard Probst, please check ur email, there messages from United Aircraft Design (UAD). Have a good day.:)Christian CH.