Sign in to follow this  

weather / visibility in europe

Hi there,if one downloads real weather from within flight simulator, there is no visibility information for europe.I think, it is because the interpretation of the downloaded weather (and there the visibility) is in nautical miles (while in europe we have the visibility in meters in the METARs). That means: If i have 1000 meters visibility in Cologne, FS 2002 interpretes this as 1000 miles (that means "almost unlimited" visibility :-) )OK, i gave RealWeather 5.21 a try. Now i have a very nice looking weather. But a new problem occurs:I get my landing clearance to rwy 18, and while i am on my approach, AI traffic is taking of rwy 36 (obviously because the weather changed; RealWeather affects only global weather and changes it from time to time).I wanted to develope my own software solution now. A software that automatically downloads metars, taf and so on and generates LOCAL weather in FS 2002.After searching for i while, i found out: FSUIPC does not let me set different local weather areas.OK, i now took GetWeather (produced by www.bearsoft.de). It downloads the real weather from the jeppesen server and saves it. If FS2002 requests real weather, GetWeather plays the weather server role. But the same problem as with the direct download from the jeppesen server occurs (because GetWeather is only a store-and-forward system that does not correct the european metric visibility information to corresponding nautical miles units.So, now i want to redevelope a software like "GetWeather" that corrects the problems. But i do not now:1. how to download the weather from the jeppesen server2. how the format of the downloaded weather looks like3. how i can make my software a server for FS2002.Can anyone help?The only thing i really want is: The complete weather information including CORRECT visibility information, even in Europe.CiaoBodo

Hi Bodo. FS Meteo give current weather in FS2002. Updates itself about every 10 minutes and works very well.Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

Hi,i heard of real weather. Can you confirm that you have the correct visibility information in europe (i.e. do you have limited visibility that is NOT created by FSUIPC?And, you as user know it best: Is winds aloft included and one last thing: I download the weather to my laptop, when i am at work (because i do not have my fs2002 computer connected to the internet anymore.) That's why i find GetWeather such a good tool. Is this or something similar also possible with the tool?There is one disadvantage: The price. But i think it is worth the money.

>if one downloads real weather from within flight simulator, >there is no visibility information for europe. >I think, it is because the interpretation of the downloaded >weather (and there the visibility) is in nautical miles >(while in europe we have the visibility in meters in the >METARs).Bodo:Just so you know, the visibility doesn't work in the U.S. either. The FS2K2 downloadable weather needs to be patched..... yeah, right, like that's gonna happen....James

Bodo:Yes, the visibility is correct in Europe. I use FSMeteo also.James

i tried the weather in the U.S. And i have visiblities around 5 miles or so very often. I even had visibilities of below 2 miles in the united states (i did not check it against actual METAR data, but at least there IS limited visibility. In Europe, there IS NEVER limited visibility.So i am a little bit astonished, that you even do not have limited visibility in the U.S.Thanks for your tips. I will try FSMeteo. Perhaps this is the tool I need.BUT THERE IS STILL ANOTHER QUESTION: Does anyone know how i can create several different local weather areas? The Microsoft SDK does not talk about such things, and FSUIPC does not offer the needed variables.ThanksBodo