Sign in to follow this  
shermank

Open letter from a flight sim widow (reprint)

Here is a pretty good newsgroup post that I ran across in 1996 from a flight sim widow. I don't know who the author is. Kinda' rings true!Darling,I'm posting this message in your newsgroup, as I know this is the only way to get it to you since flight simulation entered our lives two years ago.The children are doing well. Our son is seven now and is a bright handsome boy. He has developed quite a flair for art. He drew a family portrait for a school project. All the figures were good, but yours was excellent. The computer, the model airplane, the chair, and the back of your head are rendered in detail and stunning accuracy. You would be very proud of him.As you'll recall, our precious little girl turned three in September. She still remembers that you spent the whole day with her on her birthday. What quality time it was for her when you allowed her to watch you recreate Amelia Earhart's last flight! She was so sorry that she crashed before your plane did, but she was *so* sleepy.Poor thing. When she asked how come Daddy's TV only had a grey picture, I told her you were staring at fog. Was I right?I'm also doing well. I went blonde about a year ago, and was delighted to learn that blondes really do have more fun.Lars, I mean Mr. Swenson the department head, has taken an interest in my career and has become a good friend to all of us.The house is in good shape. I had the living room painted last Spring. I'm not sure if you noticed it. I made the painters cut air holes in the drop cloths so you wouldn't be disturbed. They were very apologetic about splattering your charts.I've discovered that the household chores are much easier since you allow me to vacuum around you instead of using the feather duster that makes you sneeze ans streaks your goggles.I will be at the ski lodge this weekend with Lars and the kids. Don't worry darling, we have seperate bedrooms. He is very well aware that I am married. I'll try to call you. If the line is busy, I'll know that you are connected by modem to your flight instructor who is demonstrating advanced manuevers. ( I still can't believe that he's only thirteen. His parents must be very proud of him.)The housekeeper has been instructed to keep your coffeee cup filled and to give you a fresh straw every three hours.Just let her know when you're getting hungry, and she'll give you some frozen pizza to suck on.Good luck circumnavigating the world via the poles. Should be a fun weekend! See you Sunday night!Fondly,Carol (your wife)

Guest gasebah

This post put me in distress. The whole afternoon I was trying to remember if I had a wife (once, or still have?)Alex

Guest Boone

There should be an organization for flight sim widows, some sort of samaritan style forum. Poor ladies, can't blame them really. Wouldn't it be cool if things were the other way round!?! Dream on.Boone

Solution:Fly at night when everybody is sleeping - after kiss them goodnight!Install adsl - so you can have - phone and internet connection at same time.Take days off work - if a really late with your flight!Call Mr. Swenson and invite him for a flight! and let him to know to stay away from your wife - If still not work - find a new wife!Continue your hobby!:-spam1

Guest Eagle92395

Better solution... stay single like me :)

Better solution... stay single like me Absolutely! I have all the free time I could ever want to pursue the hobby, AND some spare cash for buying add-ons! :-lolMike CollierKPHX[table border=1 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td rowspan=2] http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td] America West Airlines and proud to be a Beta Tester of[link:www.jdtllc.com]Radar Contact]The premiere ATC adventure add-on for FS

Guest captbulldog

>Call Mr. Swenson and invite him for a flight!w00t! Bring him over to the "other" side!

Guest Lizardo

JOKE>> Or hey, teach the kids how to play "Hijacker" :-)

this one is as laugh out loud funny now as it was when I first read it a few years ago...I think I showed it to my first wife, who, btw still remains my only wife...I don't remember whether she laughed..and, on a related note, I remember back on an old BBS ( if you don't remember what a BBS is, then jokes about wives will not matter), there actually was a forum for flight sim widows...and they all had a pretty good sense of humor about the whole thing...Sherman KaplanHighland Park IL