Sign in to follow this  
Guest BMarcoux

Would anybody care to help out with the Dash8-311 A/P??

I am having trouble figuring out how the A/P of the new Dash8 is meant to be operated. I have heard people say that it has bugs - but I suspect these bugs are more a matter of not operating it properly. I have read and reread the docs provided by the designer - but as he is obviously not a native English speaker (no offence meant!! :)) , I am finding it difficult to understand the various modes and the sequences in which they should be operated. This , combined with the inability to "save " a situation makes it a slow learning process.Thanks Barry

>I am having trouble figuring out how the A/P of the new >Dash8 is meant to be operated. I have heard people say that >it has bugs - but I suspect these bugs are more a matter of >not operating it properly. Barry,I think there may be at least one serious bug (or better a 'limitation') - inability to use its Flight Director. The author claims that this is due to FS2002-limits (I think he got all confused because this limitation existed in FS2000 if I am not mistaken) but in the "competing" ERJ-145 it works just fine. But if you want to fly with AP engaged and forget about FD-flying then this particular 'bug' will not affect you. If there are other AP bugs - I can't tell at this moment.Michael J.

Michael, I would suggest that the fact that the FD doesn't follow the a/p when the a/p is disconnected is a failing of the FD code, not the a/p. I'm also unclear as to why the two panels have to be perceived as 'competing'. Can they not 'co-exist'? What's the competition all about and how do we determine who won? For a kick-off, one's a turbo-prop and the other's a jet....However, I believe that the question was about how the a/p worked. Barry, if you have any specific question, ask away - I'm sure there's enough expertise around here to cover most things, and I believe Oleksiy monitors the forum as well. However, I have found that the a/p is pretty conventional. The only 'gotcha' if you're not used to it is the IAS and ALT SEL functions (which are also present on at least two other turbo-prop panels to my knowledge (Espen's F50 and the ATR by Paco S

Guest BMarcoux

I have 2 questions. First How can you adjust torque?? I can't move the condition levers manualy. It seems they can only be set at F1 or F4. Also has anyone figured a way to have the autopilot on and controling altitude and still be able to turn. I've put the standard lines for this in the cfg. file like I have my other planes but it has no effect. Thanks

Guest BMarcoux

Ah ok, thanks. This is what happens when you never use to keyboard! :)

>Michael, I would suggest that the fact that the FD doesn't >follow the a/p when the a/p is disconnected is a failing of >the FD code, not the a/p. Correct. I just treat FD as part of the AP (or part of the same unit), it is even often referred to as APFDS (AP-FD system).>why the two panels have to be perceived as 'competing'. Andy, As you can see I put it in quotes. ;-)Michael J.