Sign in to follow this  
brucek

Turning AI planes off when landing??

HiI was just finishing a flight KMIA-KDFW. I was cleared for landing at rwy 17 R, and i coul see lots of traffic. Of course atc was unable to handle them well so i had a AA MD80 passing just a few meters in front of me. That's not the problem, i'm used to this kind of crazy stuff, the problem was that suddenly FS freezed and a window appeared saying Out of memory! FS2002 now closing. So i lost two + hours for nothing. I was thinking that if i turned off AI traffic during approach, this would at least let me land peacefully, but i haven't found the way to turn it off and immediately see the changes. If i disable dynamic scenery on the display settings, it's like doing nothing, the ai planes will be just were you left em. What setting do i have to change in order to get rid of em quickly?? Sometimes i can land (most of the time) but fs stutters a lot (I think loadng all the ai textures) that is just to stressful on finals, or just touching down..Any Help?Thanks in advanceHenriquePIV 1.7512 SDRAMNvidia Geforce 2 64

You could try clicking Options, Settings and ATC and reduce Traffic Percent to minimum although I don't know if it will solve your problem. You have more than enough memory(512meg) and shouldn't be experiencing a memory problem. Problem might be associated with the swapfile(virtual memory). Run Scandisk on your harddrive to make sure it is OK. I remember having a similar problem with fs2k, I was at the end of a long flight preparing to turn for final approach and this happened: http://home.attbi.com/~jrogers2/visualfx.jpg I ran scandisk and scandisk reported that the amount of free space on my harddrive wasn't being reported to windows correctly. This apparently caused a problem with how windows was using the swapfile(virtual memory). Anyway, scandisk fixed the problem and I had no more crashes. Might be worth a try.good luck john(KEWB)

HiThanks for the help. I think this is something that i just might try. I found a way to turn AI traffic off immediately, because turning it off on display settings doesn't seem to have any results, at least in my computer. The way i found, is just to delete, (or move tu another directory) the files default.dep and default.cdp in you aircraft directory ( You should hit P while doing this) and then go back to fs , and change the time in just a few seconds, and fs will try to load ai traffic again, but you won't see anything.

If you reset the time in FS, this should initiate a new AI traffic file. You could avoid the effects of backed-up traffic that way.Bruce.