Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

FSGenesis

Can you please tell me your view about this family-owned scenery factory?To me as an european (Dutch) outsider it feels so very commercial; "we want to make money as quick and much as possible....."Is it really this way or must i have a different look!Thank you for your comment.bert van kampen webauthor www.worldoffs.com

HI Bert,I'm not a member of the AVSIM editorial staff, but perhaps you'll allow me to comment, too. :-)Yes, your view is accurate, but incomplete. After all, one of the goals and purposes of a business >is< to be profitable, isn't it? At least that's what I've always heard.So, yes, one of the purposes of FSGenesis is "to make money as quick and much as possible . . ."But, the incomplete part of your view is from the other side of the fence -- The Customer's side. Obviously, any business whose sole purpose is "to make money as quick and much as possible" while ripping off its customers, while forgetting about them once the sale is made, while providing inferior products, and inferior support and customer service deserves every bit of ire thrown at it. And, due to any darwinian theories of business, will not be around for very long, and deservedly so.Conversely, a business whose purpose is also to provide high quality products, superior support and customer service, and gives much value for a reasonable price, deserves any goodwill bestowed upon it, deserves any profit it can generate, and will be around for a long time.So while it >is< a purpose of FSGenesis to be profitable (after all I have three growing boys to support, and eventually college to pay for :-)), that is not the sole purpose for its existence. Rather, any profitability goes hand-in-hand with another prupose--to provide quality products and superior support and customer service. If I can meet those goals, the profitability will come along in due course.And over here in America we have something called The Work Ethic, which basically says hard work is rewarded. I have been working very hard this year--often 16-18 hour days. I've released 9-10 new products this year, and always have something in production. I work alone, have my finger in every pie. I'm the CEO, and I'm the janitor. I'm the Accountant, The Tech Support Guy, the Shipping Clerk, The Manufacturing Manager, The Production Manager, The Research & Development Manager--everything. I don't have a big office building--I work out of an office in my home----And I'm earning a modest living at what I do.So, I'm not sure I understand the pejorative tone of your message. I work hard, I put in long hours, and I believe, based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback from my customers, that I am providing quality products at a reasonable price with good customer service and support.Is there something wrong with that, or am I missing something here?Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.com

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Bert,As one European to another (but having extensive internatioanl and US experience) I can tell you that I have known Justin to be a very customer and service minded person that has also invested a very large amount of his time in flight simulation. I have never felt (or have any proof of it) that FSGenesis is 'in it' just for the money.Sure, they need to make a living, but out of very personal knowledge and experience, both as a corporate executive of a large company AND as a dedictaed simmer that makes a few dollars on the side, I can tell you that one will NOT get rich in this industry. Except if you are called Bill Gates of course.I have a few of their products and they are excellent. So is the follow up when needed with service and patches. And making these mesh files is not something anybody can do on a rainy Sunday afternoon ;-)Kind regards,Francois :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm]Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][br][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75b.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Hi Justin,Thank you very much for your very clear reply; my view was indeed incomplete. I now have a good idea and feeling about the job/bussines you are running.I have done exactly the same thing in the past and didn't succeed; i worked too may hours and went ill...I wish you and FSGenesis lots of succes and i will add the url of FSGenesis to our site!And last but not least i very much apologize for whatever i have written wrong about your firm; i didn't have the intention to do so!No Justin there is nothing wrong with your statements!Kind regardsHappy flying and designingBert van KampenWebauthor www.worldoffs.com

Don't worry, Justin. I'm not rolling in corruption or cash. :-)If I was in this for the money, I probably wouldn't still be in it. I'm mostly in it because I like being my own boss, I like the creative outlet it provides, and it happens to pay the monthly bills MOST of the time, with maybe a little left over some months.But I assure you, I'm not getting rich enough to be corrupted by it. Not by a long shot. I'm not sure where some get the idea that creating payware addons for Flight Simulator is a get rich quick proposition. It just ain't like that. There is no BIG MONEY to be made here. The market is a niche, very slim in the grand scheme of things. I'm just a mom and pop shop hoping to keep my head above water.Maybe someday I'll hit that magic bullet and stumble onto a runaway product and finally be somewhat comfortable. But if it ever happens it will be the reward for more than five years of hard work, scraping and scrimping by at times while working 15-18 hours days. If I'm ever lucky enough to have that happen, then I figure I'll deserve it.I appreciate your concern, but I don't consider myself to be all that easily corruptible.:-beerchugJustin

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

I just wanted to post here after reading your post. I'm ALWAYS concerned about ANY induvidual "forgetting where he came from" and going Enron. Now I am not accusing you of this Justin, but I am just saying BE CAREFUL. Money is a VERY tempting thing (hell, I have to struggle in order not to spend any of mine needlessly). I've never bought ANY sceneries and that online, but...you never know.And I know the people here at AVSIM would HATE to lose you from something as silly and stupid as that. Once again, I am not accusing you of anything...I just want you to be careful.I HATE CORRUPTION!!!!! :-mad