Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilC

How do I disable the engine auto-start in FS2002?

I have searched the FS2002 preference panels with a fine tooth comb, particularly the "realism" one and I cannot find a way to disable the engine auto-start every time I begin a flight.I'd like to go through the pre-flight checklist but the damn engines are always roaring away as soon as the flight begins.I end up having to shut everything down and start all over which as you can imagine is a big waste of time.Thanks for any assistance

Guest PhilC

Fairly simple really.Create a flight starting at the airport you want with the plane that you want and shut down everything in the plane to a cold state. Save the flight and check the Default checkbox.Now when you start up you will be ready for your pre-flight. Even if you change planes or airports at the Create a Flight screen, they will start-up in this mode.

Interesting! You'd think there would be a damn checkbox somewhere for this!I will try it as soon as I get home.Thanks for you assistance

I think there might be one correction. It seems the aircraft state is only saved if after you shut it down, you use the window menu (accessed by the ALT key) File, Save or Save As (or whatever it is) as opposed to ending the flight and then saving it. This way you can taxi to wherever you wish to "tie down", put all the controls in the state you wish (I shut down the electronics master, electrical masters, stall the engine with mixture, shut down the mags, cut off fuel if appropriate, etc.) and then use the window menu file save routine.When I load the flight, the aircraft is in the parked state and you can follow the start up check list if you wish. You may not wish to get into this much procedural detail but if you want realism . . .The electrical shutdown, by the way, before engine cut-off, was to provide surge protection to the alternator and its load. Likewise, start the engine before whatever electronics are turned on.

Guest PhilC

That's what I meant Ronzie. Thanks for the clarification.