Sign in to follow this  

Initial MS 2002 experience

I've been flying plane and helo simulators since the early '80s, usually without going to great length to learn the proper way to fly. I figured if I was able to fly the Apache, A-10 and WWI + II prop planes without learning things like the correct procedures for landing I was fine.I decided to finally attempt to learn how things should be done so I bought FS2002 and a joystick. I started with the training flights and was instantly captured.Although I still feel compelled to take flights without knowing what I'm doing I am really looking forward to learning how to use my radio, VOR and ILS properly. I can't wait to learn how to get in the proper pattern for landing and get the right glidepath, speed, etc.I live near a small municipal airport (Santa Monica) and it's been exciting to take off from my neighborhood and see how long it takes to fly to some of the places I've taken roadtrips to even though I crash about as often as I land, and when I land it's none too pretty.I've told myself I will not (unlike in the past) download any extras until I succeed in getting my pilot's certificate. That will be my reward for finally doing things the "right" way after all these years as a digital pilot.Last night I took a Skylane and flew to Catalina Island. For the return trip I switched to a Learjet, not realizing the runway was too short. I checked my replay and saw that the last thirty feet or so of my takeoff used the grass leading up to a cliff! Just barely made it into the air.I look forward to enhancing my experience with all the add-on planes, scenery and amazing sounding utilities like that Flight Deck Companion I've read about.

"Although I still feel compelled to take flights without knowing what I'm doing....."Welcome to our wonderful world! 99.9 percent of those in this community meet that description too. :-lolIncluding me! I have never flown a 747 or a 320, or even a DC-3 for that matter. But let me strap myself in within the sim, and I be an expert... :-lolWelcome aboard and we hope you learn and ultimately will share that knowledge here.

It is Very nice to read your post as it reminds me What I am doing here and Puts The Fun Back into things :)All i seen to do is short 20 second flight to check I got a stripe lined right :)It is how I was and How I wish to be again ,out on the open Skyway with wind in my hair lolThank you :)Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tom,I see you sent the helo to SDLM, PAR, or whatever they call it these days. How many downing gripes did it have before it was time?

272.5... :)The 0.5 was a flaky doppler radar altimeter. Intermittent as the day was long. Made for a rough auto-hover though. PIC got kind of nervous at times, especially when virtigo kicked in. :-lol

Sounds like you may be getting close to being "hooked" on learning instrument flight procedures. For many of us, that's the most fascinating part of fooling around with this "game". When you have a few spare moments check this website for some really, really excellent tutorials on how to use and get the most from the instruments: http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ . The knowledge gained there will get you to anywhere in the world you choose to go.Trip

It amazes me that after all these years, I still get suprised by links to sites that have probably been posted here a thousand times before - but I simply missed for one reason or another.Thanks Trip for the Nav link... That looks like an EXCELLENT site and is a resource I've always wanted to break some of my "bad habits", or fine tune some of my good ones.Take care,Elrondhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/Boycott-RIAA.gif]"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font://http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/B...cle."[/b][/font