Sign in to follow this  

235W Power supply and Dual monitors

hi all i have a 235 Watt power supply for a P3 800 with a Nvidia 64med MX400 and SD133 256 Ram and an Asus P3V4X mobo,i want to set up a second monitor with another PCI card in there, is my power supply strong enough to take on this extra monitor or do i need to replace my power supply to 300W?thanks:-wave

If you are going to replace the powersupply, go for minimum of 350W or better.No one can really tell you if it will work unless they have the identical system and try it. What you didn't say is how many diskdrives, CDRom, mice, throttles, and other peripherals you may have attached and using power!You might be okay until that once in a million time when everything kicks in that causes the internal fuse (if there is one) to blow or the load causes the voltages to sag which causes bit errors.

You will be cutting it close if you are doing a CD to CDR copy action as CDR's can use some juice. Ofcourse it all depends on the amount of hd's and the effiency of the PSU, because I seen many that were way below the specs.They are not that expensive and if you are a homebuilder of your machines getting a solid PSU is a wise investment. Spend some money on it and get one that is at least 350 watts and has a regulated cooling system. I know, I spend a small fortune of PSU's until I finally got wise and bought one that was better.Mathijs KokLAGO