Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

Stolen textures

Guest Matt Johnson

Found what I was looking for. The file is smoke.--M

Hey, hey......that sounds just the thing everybodys favourite bankrupt publisher would say...!

Thank you Matt :)I am Amazed at some responce here and Slightly sad ,HAd the THought to include a Email address in the read me ,then Maby I would write him But I still want it made Public when people do this ,it is not photo textures Stuck on it is Hours using paintshop and a tiny brush and sometimes that is 1 pixle wide ,SO it is annoying to see that posted as new when it is not ,it may be Ego but what else is there ? I Am glad the majority here still think it is wrong to do things like this and it is you people that make this world a better placeAnniette xxxxxxxxxx

Of course it's wrong Anniette. You're also correct in saying how sad it is that some people can condone thievery too AND try to justify it.I'm glad Matt removed the file. Now get back to work on some 757's! LOL!! UPS would be nice! (hint-hint!) :)Don

Anniette,>>HAd the THought to include a Email address in the read me ,then Maby I would write him <http://uk.geocities.com/panamwings/panam/Public_Apologx.htmlThe only problem is he is appologizing to the wrong person?Pete S

He STILL left out something important! Yeah, he got the name incorrect, but he still didn't ask PERMISSION as it says right on the screen in front of him on the BMP! I guess if he didn't know who did it, he doesn't know about the rest of the writting on the texture either. He read PANAM pretty well though!Don

Heres a pic of a UPS 757 that I painted. It isn't Mikes though and won't be released on the major sites.Jeff

Guest N247BK

My brother is a research physician, here in our hometown, at one of the largest medical teaching and research universities in the USA. His specialty is oncological mutation, which can produce findings that can make one person, or, more often, a major corporation wealthy beyond what I can describe to you (and this happens every year). Theft of research work by other researchers is always a problem in his endeavor. He simply documents everything, and ensures that those who are really important to him (those who are working to help other people first, not themselves first) know the source of the research findings. You will simply not be able to lock theives out of your home. Locks are to keep honest people out. Keep doing your great work, and we who know the source admire you beyond what you can imagine. Let us be your focus in your endeavor.

Guest Philip Olson

Anniette, I am sorry this has happened to you, as well as everyone else it happens to. It makes me sick to see people steal from others and then others will condone it. My wife teaches high school so I hear first hand how bad things are getting. If she leaves something on her desk, where no students are allowed, and it gets stolen it is my wifes fault for leaving it out in the open. These kids will not deny that they stole an item, they just shift the blame to whoever left the object in their reach. It is our fault that others steal our things because we are such bad people that we put things out where others can innocently take them. By their definition I should go to jail if my car gets stolen because I parked it where it tempted someone. Please do not think that I am exaggerating, a vast majority of the kids in my wifes high school think this way (the car example above is of course not included in that, just my thoughts). I am sad to say that fewer and fewer people respect others property, and they make you the bad guy when they get caught. Of course in less it is their own property that gets stolen. I hope that this will change.Philip

>Looks like he wrote a letter of appologyToo little, too late!Worse, what about the original failure to ask first and abide by the wishes of the creator?But worst of all, is those in here accusing Alpha, of disturbing the peace, when she is the injured party! How would you naysayers like getting mugged, yelling about the injuries you received, and having the policeman, rather than attending your wounds and calling in an APB to catch the perp, cite you, instead, for disturbing the peace! Then telling you that, it wasn't really a theft -- just an "accidental misappropriation". Talk about adding insult to injury!That beer analogy fails to apply to reality, too. Try this on, instead: you come to a party, bring a cooler full of beer, but not just any beer, but a really high-quality ale that you make yourself, with great effort and expensive equipment. And you go enjoy the party a while, but when you come back, someone has appropriated your cooler! He's taken a Magic Marker and written his name on it, and carried what used to be your cooler over to another part of the party where he is giving away your beer, that you created with your own learning and sweat, and receiving great compliments from bringing such a fine treat to the party. Is there anyone here who would call it an "accidental misappropriation"? Is there anyone here, who thinks it would be OK if it happened to them?There's no accident here, and there is *definitely* a theft, even though you brought the ale specifically to give it away! What's hard about this for you?Theft is a blow. It can make you sick. Hasn't anyone here come home, seen the formerly-locked door standing wide open, and suddenly known that your most private space has been violated, irreplaceable things that you spent a lifetime acquiring are forever gone, that part of you is now missing and may never be recovered? If you had, you would realize the sick feeling Alpha must have had when she realized that this was her stolen work in someone else's upload. I'll bet $5 against a burnt match that it felt like a blow to the stomach -- or worse.Shame on any of you who argued for peace and freedom instead of justice! The fact that she has contributed to this community and received this treatment from the hands of some in here, makes the injury even more egregious.There is [/i]peace[/i] in the jungle, once the lion has made his kill -- but he will get hungry again. When this perp is "hungry" again...who will be next? Why don't we rid ourselves of this menace? One of the great American patriots once said, "Those who would exchange their freedom for peace deserve neither freedom, nor peace" (or something like). I think this falls in the same category. Not saying there shouldn't be an investigation, and due process, but I think Matt should go rather farther than just toasting the file -- the perp needs to be locked out from Avsim, and strong warnings carried from Avsim high levels to the organization (since there is one) that was behind this, to the effect that any repeat will get all[/b] their files banned and headline news on Avsim front page to their perfidy.Anything less is not justice. Avsim can't restore Alpha's formerly good feelings about giving to this community -- that has been taken from her, and she will never have it again in quite the same way. I bet the same people who argued that Alpha hadn't been hurt, will argue that stealing music over the internet through peer networks is OK, too. Well, guess what? That ongoing theft is why the copyright battle is getting so crazy. Anyone read this? It's called "The Crazy Fight Against Copyright Crooks": http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-956482.html. They were suing the Internet backbone providers for carrying access to an internet site called listen4ever.com. Worse will come. There are bills in the US Congress right now that will throw out the baby with the bathwater, by outlawing Fair Use. What's that? Well, for example, I buy CD's but I have a tape player in the car. I copy most of my CD's onto tape and play the tapes. This is legal under Fair Use. But this will go away, if any of that crazy legislation passes. The music people won't be satisfied now, until I pay them each time I play their song, the way things are going now. Millions of innocent people will be harmed. And do you know who I blame for this? Not the music people -- true, they are off the scale, but none of this would be happening, if millions of people hadn't been willing, even eager, to steal music by downloading it, rather than paying for it!I imagine Alpha did not outright *give* those textures, but rather licensed them for zero dollars. But licensing does not convey ownership, any more than being given the keys to a company car does. If you change the serial numbers and sell it to a car dealership with a fake title -- even though you didn't take it by force or stealth -- it's theft, just the same. And taking someone else's work and incorporating it into your own, without permission or credit, is also theft, just the very same. All your prostetations will not change that one jot, and there will be a reckoning -- someday, if not today.Doesn't anyone here remember, "Thou Shalt Not Steal"?I leave you to what is no doubt likely to become a flame war, with a final thought about our responsibilities as mortal humans. Here's a couple of the billboards seen around the Southern US last year:"What part of 'Thou shalt not' do you not understand?" --God"Don't make me come down there!" --God --BeachComer (donning Nomex) Stephen "Beach" Comer Real World Pile-it Commercial ASMEL, Instrument Airplane 4500 TT, 2500 BE20 & BE10

Guest Edam

Hmm...suddenly those pages can't be found. I was there and read them 20 minutes ago.

Great post Stephen,Well thought out and presented. Your "beer analogy" is right on!Pete S

Jeff; what a beautiful airplane. What's it got stolen parts on it or something??? hehehe.