Sign in to follow this  
Donmo

Soloed today!

Guest Moghdad

I did my first solo flight this afternoon in the Cessna 150. I flew from Palwaukee up to Waukegan and did a few trips around the pattern with my instructor. Then she got out and I did two takeoffs and landings on runway 14 and two more on 5 with a nice crosswind from the right. It was a beautiful late afternoon over the Chicago area. Visibility was great, the plane felt perfect, and I wasn't nervous at all.I'm sitting in my study now, hours later, but I haven't yet landed! Just had to share the feeling.

Great news!So- you have officially become a PIC! This is the day that you will recall forever!Bruce.BJC, Jeffco, CO

Congrats! What a great feeling, still remember it well, fall day in NH. I soloed in a Piper Tomahawk! It was 21 years ago and I can still recall the feeling :) Savor it.Hornit

Congrats! I just did my first solo a couple weeks ago, and my "insurance solo" last week. Nothing could be finer! :-cool-John

Guest JonP01

Well done! I don't mind admitting I am totally envious of you all.

Guest KenG

Congratulations. Well done. That is an experience you will NEVER forget. Probably one of the most memorable you will ever have in your flying future.So, were you nervous? Any extra anxiety the first time you looked to the right and DIDN'T see your instructor sitting there? Did that little 150 climb like a rocket? :-lol Okay, that last one was a little too far. A C150 NEVER climbs like a rocket, even empty.Good luck on the remainder of your training.

Guest Moghdad

Thanks for the congratulations, all! I went out to the airport today and did it again, just like yesterday. Now I am cleared to take the plane up to Waukegan myself, although my instructor must approve each flight. Hopefully, I'll be approved to fly to some other neighborhood airports (Schaumberg, DuPage, Lake-in-the-Hills) soon. Meanwhile, we will begin working on the cross country stuff.I wasn't a bit nervous yesterday or today--don't ask me why. I had had trouble sleeping Thurday night and, for the first time ever, briefly considered cancelling my morning class in order to get some extra sleep for the Friday afternoon solo. In the end though, I went to campus and had a good teaching day. By the time I got to the airport at 3:00, the adrenaline and coffee had done their work and I was rearing to go!Actually, I had been reading NTSB accident reports before bed Thursday night. Those of you familiar with the Chicago area might remember that the local AM radio host Bob Collins and two others were killed in a mid-air at Waukegan in February, 2000. A fascinating report, but maybe not the best reading for the night before my first solo at Waukegan! Actually, Collins collided with a Skyhawk piloted by a student pilot--on her very first solo flight. Very sad.For the first time, the PPL is beginning to seem like a realizable goal rather than a distant dream.

Congrats to you also! Must have been a good flying day! Everyone seemed to have soloed today! Step 1 complete. Keep on going buddy. You will NEVER forget today.Don