Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

XP SP1 Ragged out lettering?

I installed the XP service pack 1, and while it seems to quicken up XPa bit, I now have a little problem with the lettering that appears when you hit SHIFT + Z in FS2002. The red letters now have artifacts behind them. Not a huge deal, but an indication something aint right.I did reload my video drivers again. Im using the 30.82 drivers because I didnt see anything new in 40.41 drivers that improved anything. Mebbe I'll try those again.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Just as update...I backed out the SP1 update that was apparently late beta. I found that ALL my lettering in FS2002 had artifacts, including the ATC menus. That became a headache, so used the XP "restore" feature to get back to normal.Suggest to ANYONE who tries this SP1 update when MS releases it, to do the conservative thing and create a restore point backup when the update offers to. Yeah, it will eat some HD space, but you are better off doing that, then testing to see if everything works.Eric

And once more the lesson is to not install software except officially released stuff from the official source :-)

Guest WorkingStiff

What was the source of your SP1 update? The URL I published was for the final release that was published in advance so that MS Premier Support partners had access to the update before the general public. So its no difference from the SP that will be released on Monday. You can read all about it here: http://www.windowsxp.nu/For what its worth, I checked my installation and there are no artifacts on the FS2002 menus or after pressing SHIFT+Z. But then I'm using the Nvidia 29.42 drivers since I have a GeForce3 card and its not necessary for me to have the latest drivers.

Thats exactly the source of the SP1 update I used. I have a GeForce3 Ti200 card. Im using drivers 30.82 official from Nvidia. I did get the artifacts. No idea why. I removed the SP1 and now no problems.Wasnt only the shift z. It was the lettering in The ATC window even worse. Eric

Guest WorkingStiff

Don't know what to tell you then because I've checked all my text within FS2002 and there are no artifacts; that includes the Shift+Z info, ATC (invoked via ` key) and the FS2002 menus.I also checked the graphics software I use - Photoshop 7.1 - and it works perfectly. Seems to be a problem with your card/driver.

Didnt check Photoshop. Only app I tried that had a problem was MSFS2K. Who knows.Eric

EJoiner, this happened on my system too-Win XP Pro, AMD XP 2100+, GF 3, Det 30.82Weird, this used to be a problem with older nVidia drivers, strange for it to return now with the XP service pack. I can only asssume they 'fixed' something in DirectX, negating the earlier nVidia workaround.At the moment, frankly I'm not too bothered about it-I rarely use the shift-Z function these days and the ATC window doesn't look too bad. I've merely changed the font for Abacus EZ-Landmarks to large-small/medium being difficult to read.I did make a restore point and I did use the backup option during the SP1 install, so I can still go back if other problems should crop up :-)

I am using WinXP Home, AMD2200+, GF3(Original not the TI), latest 40.41 drivers. Installed SP1 yesterday. Have no problems whatsoever with anything I run. FS2002 has none of the mentioned anomalies in text or anything else I observed. So Martijn may be right, it may be the older video drivers?Pete S

I actually tried both 30.82 AND 40.41 drivers from Nvidia.Had the problem with both driver sets! I dont like the 40.41 drivers anyway because I thought they introduced stuttering on my PCwhich wasnt there before and I didnt see any speed increase as claimed.In any case, the thing runs fine without SP1 and with the 30.82 drivers. I think I'll wait a little to see if Nvidia release another driver specifically for SP1.My graphics card is an Xtasy GF3 Ti200 with 128MB vmem. Not cutting edge, but not low end either.Eric